1Password not working after iOS update [1Password 3 retired in 2012; please upgrade]

Options
germ
germ
Community Member
edited March 2017 in iOS

Hello, I am using 1Password 3.7.2. I like it because it can synchronize via WiFi with my Mac and I don't want web passwords etc.
Everything worked fine in iOS 7.0.4. Last week I decided to finally update to 10.2.1. Now 1Password does not work. The app starts and I can enter the 4 digit code. But when I try to access password-protected notes, in the password entry field characters get replaced by an angled arrow upon entry of a new character. When I hit "done" the app pauses for a moment, then quits unexpectedly.

What should I do?

1Password Version: 3.7.2
Extension Version: none
OS Version: iOS 10.2.1
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @germ,

1Password 3 for iOS was retired in 2012 and will not work at all on iOS 11. It is just barely functional enough on iOS 10 to get your data out of it and into the newer version. We have a guide on how to do this here:

How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your iPhone or iPad

If you're still using 1Password 3 on Mac you'll need to upgrade that as well. Please let me know if that is the case.

Thanks!

Ben

• germ
    germ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thank you for the very prompt response. I am not sure what version I am using on my Mac (I don't have it in front of me right now), but it's probably equally old.

I realize I have to update. Do the iOS and Mac versions need to be in lockstep?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2017
    Options

@germ,

In order to continue syncing between them, yes, you'll need to update both. Order doesn't matter. Could you please find out which version you're using on your Mac and shoot us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com? We'll be able to best handle this one-on-one via email. With your message please include a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75997/. To upgrade from 1Password 3 for Mac to anything higher is a paid upgrade, so we can look up your purchase history and see what options are available there.

When you send the email you should get an automated response from BitBot that'll contain a Support ID. Please post that ID here so we can 'connect the dots' and expedite your request.

Thanks!

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi

Apart from a potential non functioning iOS App now, there are rumours that Apple will include a warning for 32bit Apps in the future that the specific App won't work. They are pushing towards an all 64bit environment.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/31/ios-10-3-beta-32-bit-app-warning/

"From iOS 10.2.1:

“Waterslide” May Slow Down Your iPad

The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility.

And iOS 10.3 beta 1:

“Waterslide” Needs to Be Updated

This app will not work with future versions of iOS. The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility.

In the case of Waterslide, the app has long been pulled from the App Store but remains in my Purchased list where it can be re-downloaded. As Apple’s new alert dialog warns, the app will likely no longer launch at all with future iOS updates.

For apps that are still in the App Store, the alert dialog should put pressure on app owners to get with the times or face apps being removed from the App Store."

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @wkleem, but it isn't a rumor. :) It is happening with 32 bit apps on the latest version of iOS, and folks are getting the message with 1Password 3. We've also started including our own warning about the fact that it will not work on iOS 11 and not updating before then will result in data loss.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the confirmation @Ben. I wonder, what about true 32bit platforms like the iPhone 4? I have a iPad mini which max. at iOS 9.3.5.

• Ben
    Options

My understanding is that it only affects iOS 10+. On iOS 10 you'll get the warning, on iOS 11 the app won't install.

I can't say for certain though how that may affect older devices. That'd be a question for Apple. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks! Apple also does cull old Apps now and then.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.