1Password Beta Chrome Extension requires new permissions?

Options

My Chrome extension just got disabled and I'm seeing this screen to re-enable it. Could someone explain what has changed that triggered this warning? The "communicate with cooperating native applications" appears to be new, but this has been a feature of 1Password mini from the beginning, hasn't it?

I wonder if this is Chrome enforcing a new permission type in the latest version of Chrome?

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: 4.6.4.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @EnerJi. I fear I must take responsibility for this big scary warning appearing before its time. We have been working on native messaging, which is a replacement for the current approach for how the 1Password extension talks to the main 1Password application. This new mechanism is still in development and not active in the current beta, but we neglected to remove the new permission from the Chrome configuration file. Chrome saw this new permission and rightfully warned you that an extension update was asking to do more than it ever had before.

When it is ready, the new connection mechanism will result in a much more reliable connection to 1Password that is not subject to all the vagaries of proxies, antivirus, firewalls, and other security software. Functionally, you should see no change in behavior unless you were one of the unfortunate souls bedeviled by such issues.

Sorry for the scare, but I am glad to know about this prompt early so we can be better prepared to help our users.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 Cheers, thanks for the explanation.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure! Thanks for letting us know about it. :)

• IanTaylorFB
    IanTaylorFB
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 - Letting you and the team know that this is now appearing with production Mac Chrome / 1Password extension. I upgraded my Chrome today and got the same permissions message. Google search for "latest version of 1password chrome extension requires more permissions" brought me here.

Mac OS X Yosemite 10.0.5 14F2109
    Google Chrome 57.0.2987.133 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Revision ec33cd0c06881d919ac0de419d829ad914e0be8f-refs/branch-heads/2987@{#887}
    1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.4.90

I trust 1Password, so I've re-enabled the extension, but I do think some official message would be good.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @IanTaylorFB,

We've posted an official announcement right here in the Saving and Filling category on the forum:

Extension disabled in Chrome or Chromium-based browser and asking for new permissions

It refers to this support page:

1Password extension is disabled in Chrome and "requires new permissions"

I hope that information is helpful, and we may be officially spreading the word out even further. :)

• IanTaylorFB
    IanTaylorFB
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk I see it! Good job. I think that will help people.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @IanTaylorFB,

This one was tricky. We've created a support page and a post at the top of this particular section of the forums but it's all passive, people will only locate these after the initial "scare". Despite that I'm not sure what we could do to warn people given how it all works. I hope the official support page will ease concerns but it will likely be a couple of bumpy days. What did surprise me and tells me I need to be thinking wider, was seeing reactions to the Read and change all your data on the websites that you visit. The extension has always needed this to perform basically all of its functionality but how it was displayed in the confirmation dialog didn't make this clear. It's a good reminder to try and visualise from another person's perspective when writing these things up :smile:

It's good to question given what 1Password represents but it does produce a warm fuzzy glow to know that our reputation means people have trust in us, something I hope is never squandered given how hard it is to achieve :smile:

1Password for Mac can't take advantage of this change but we're working on it :smile:

This discussion has been closed.