How can I move an item from one category to another; i.e. from Login to Membership?

mcstamp
mcstamp
Community Member

very often the automatic registering of logins puts the items into the category Login, and you would like to move it to some other category. How can this be done?

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How can I move an item from one category to another; i.e. from Login to Membership?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mcstamp: It isn't possible to change the category of an item. You'd need to create a new one...but I don't think that's really what you want to do. If you saved a login in your browser, it sounds like you'd probably want to have 1Password fill it for you there in the future. Only Login items are capable of working this way. So if you want to use it to, well... login to the account, it's best to save it as a Login item. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mcstamp
    mcstamp
    Community Member

Thx. This helps. Maybe this is a future feature to be able to copy items into other categories.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mcstamp,

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome!

Just to be clear, you can certainly copy and paste the data from a Login item to an item in a different category. But if you did that, you wouldn't be able to use that other item to fill your username and password on that website's sign-in form (most other item categories cannot be used to fill web forms at all).

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• mcstamp
    mcstamp
    Community Member

Hmm Drew, now you puzzle me, as I didn't find a possibility to copy/past items within the same vault. How can I do that?
    Thx for your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mcstamp,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that! I simply meant that you can copy your data from one item, and paste it into another item. It's the same as copying & pasting text in any app, although you'd need to copy/paste each individual field from one to the other. But we have some tips for how to make that process easier: Quick Tip: Migrate your details between 1Password items

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.