1Password 4.4.3/5.x.x support

Barry C
Barry C
Community Member

I need to keep our life household Macs' and Windows computers on Mac OSX 10.9.5, We do not want to update to latest, and not so greatest Apple Software snafus. So I also have over the years Bought 5 Family License and Windows License Bundles plus iOS apps (cannot update to 10). I am not happy that the world, that is going all subscriptions, I cannot afford a world like that on my fixed income. Where can I get detailed information on how to set up 1Password for 4.4.3/5.x.x ? Using Dropbox and not iCloud or 1Password Vault cloud with too much security that I cannot seem to get it to work. Please help me?
Stresses out,
Barry

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.6.4.1
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 4.4.3 support

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Barry C: We don't have documentation on legacy versions of 1Password for the most part, since those operating systems aren't even supported by Apple. So in general, we don't recommend using an OS (or browser) that isn't receiving security updates, since the whole point of 1Password is to help us to stay secure online...but using outdated software with known vulnerabilities is a bad starting point when it comes to security.

That said, if you're determined to do this anyway, I'm more than happy to walk you through setting it up. Just let me know which OS, 1Password, and devices versions you've got, and we'll go from there. And I'm glad you said Dropbox because iCloud won't work between some OS versions. I still think that upgrading your OS and subscribing to 1Password Families would be a much better experience for you, but I'm here to help either way. :)

• Barry C
    Barry C
    Community Member

Apple "is" still supporting MacOS 10.9.5 only silently and so is Dropbox (iCloud still doesn't work right), So you are not supporting 1Password 4.4.3/5.x.x ? Really no documentation? I will look over my old TidBITS Take control books then, I will get back too if I get more frustrated. Thank you for your, Canned Apple answer. " 1Password Families would be a much better experience for you" I already have paid too much in the front-end since 2010, to 1Password through the upgrades and versions.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Barry C

You can use the Internet Archive (The Wayback Machine) to get some of the old FAQs, etc. Looks like Agilebits prevented robots from crawling the old documentation.

https://web.archive.org

• Barry C
    Barry C
    Community Member

Thank you MrC for reminding me, I have the new Chromium Archive.org Ext http://bit.ly/2m0IZXj working on Opera 43 using http://opr.as/2mxs1mi. I will check it out direct, I am an annual giving member of the Internet Archive.org, it is a great cause.

http://opr.as/2mxs1mi

http://bit.ly/2m0IZXj

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Barry C: That's awesome! I agree that it's a great resource (if a bit of a time sink for me personally — heh). I'm embarrassed that didn't think of that myself. :blush:

Regarding upgrades, we haven't charged for one since version 4, so you wouldn't have had to pay for more than that at least (unless you were buying licenses for others). What I meant regarding Mavericks support is that Apple ceased providing security updates last summer, and point releases nearly two years before that. With regard to 1Password, we're also no longer providing updates of any kind for version 4, but while the old app isn't supported any longer, we're always here to support you and help in any way we can — regardless of whether or not you believe I'm typing this. ;)

• Barry C
    Barry C
    Community Member

FYI: Last Security update for;

Safari 9.1.3

Released September 1, 2016
    WebKit
    Available for: OS X Mavericks v10.9.5 and OS X Yosemite v10.10.5
    Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to arbitrary code execution
    Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed through improved memory handling.
    CVE-2016-4657: Citizen Lab and Lookout

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for not being clearer. I was referring to Mac macOS Mavericks, not Safari. It's good that they patched that, but it doesn't look like other security fixes will be forthcoming. Fortunately Firefox and Chrome (and many alternative browsers) are still supported on Mavericks and receiving security updates. Cheers! :)

• Barry C
    Barry C
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for your support;

Yes I know that 1Pasword and AgleBits have supported me and my family since 1password 3 upgrade to 4, windows bundle as well with great deals, I just cannot do any more subscriptions, on a fixed income.

Just William Randolph Hearst of old, or Marc Russell Benioff, of today with Cleverbridge Monetizing Model ideals of paying for software services before you need it, is something I have had trouble with personally, I like to pay as you go. Like getting you car fixed after the warranty runs out.

• @Barry C: It sounds like our best way forward would be for you to install 1Password 4 on the Mavericks machine. While there have been a lot of nice changes to 1Password for Mac since version 4, the core functionality is very similar.

You'll want to sync via Dropbox via an AgileKeychain file. More recent versions of 1Password for Mac will create an OPVault file which isn't fully supported by version 4, but there's an option to have it switch back to the older AgileKeychain format under Help > Tools.

While our documentation has moved on, we're still more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.