Feature Request - Working with Aggregator Sites like Mint.com.

Options

When I'm on Mint.com , youneedabudget.com , and similar aggregator sites, the site will ask me for the credential for one of the many accounts that are aggregated by the site. It may prompt for bank account creds , credit card creds , brokerage account creds , etc. I would be nice from a user experience perspective to recognize the aggregator site and facilitate the user's ability to answer those prompts.

What I do is open up the 1Password application, look up the account info being requested, and then copy/paste it in. I wonder if 1Password could also a user to link other account credentials to the aggregator site. For example, I configure 1Password so that it recognizes Mint.com as an aggregator site. Then I link the account logins that are aggregated in Mint.com to Mint.com's login. Once that is done, I can still use 1password web app to log into Mint.com, but I have additional child menu options to file in credentials for related accounts.

It takes some manual work on the users part, but it will save them having to switch out of the browser, to the 1passoword app, and back. They can stay in the browser.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.63
OS Version: MacOS
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @komrad,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your ideas. It's an interesting use case for how the same login, e.g. a banking website's Login item, might be used on another website like mint.com. I think you're idea of linking the multiple Login items together somehow is good and is quite an elegant solution to getting this to work. However may I suggest an alternative solution that uses how 1Password works today:

As you may know, a 1Password Login item can have one or more website fields associated with it. So let's focus on the Login item for your bank, let's say that it currently has a single website field set to "yourbank.com". When you're on mint.com and wish to access this Login item, you would need to click on the 1Password extension icon (or go to the main 1Password app) then search for this Login item and manually copy the details into the mint.com web page. This is tiresome as you say. You could allow the "yourbank.com" Login fill mint.com by adding a second website field to the bank's Login item so it would have two website fields:

• yourbank.com
    • mint.com

That way when you're on mint.com and you click the 1Password browser extension button you'll see both the "yourbank.com" and "mint.com" login items allowing you to choose which one you want to use depending on what mint.com is asking for. If mint.com has prompted you for your password for your bank you can just select the "yourbank.com" Login item and it will fill in the username / password for your bank into the mint.com web page. You can add "mint.com" as a website field to as many Login items as you need to fill into mint.com.

I hope this makes sense and it works for you. Please let me know how it goes.

Thank again for the suggestion - suggestions like this are great for brainstorming new features for 1Password :chuffed:

Best regards,
    Matthew

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I tested it today , and it does work. Testing it today was timely as I've been closing unused financial accounts recently, so the list of accounts wasn't too long :). I do with it would have mint.com on time, but it appears to order accounts alphabetically. I'd rather have them ordered by best match, or highest confidence level that each one is the login for the site based on the URL and other factors.

Thanks for your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @komrad,

I'm happy to hear Matthew's suggestion helped a bit here. Currently 1Password only looks at first the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) and then the registered domain name for matching while I'm guessing we would need to be considering the entire URL, path and all for what you are looking for. We do see the occasional request for full URL matching but my understanding is this is something an older version of 1Password used to do and it was a continued source of confusion for people so we settled on what we have now where we just look at the domain. We'll certainly keep your request in mind but I can't say if such a feature will make it into 1Password or not. We do take into account popularity of a request though so we will track it.

This discussion has been closed.