I can't find my agile keychain!

smeier
smeier
Community Member

My computer recently had issues with its harddrive. I brought it in to be fixed and when I got it back I had lost some files and my system was updated. One of the files I apparently lost was my agile keychain. Is this data stored anywhere by 1password? I am on a family plan and have asked the other members of my family if they have it stored somewhere, but they do not. Any help would be very appreciated!

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.16
Sync Type: not sure

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Did you get 1PW from the App Store or direct from AgileBits?

I ask because the data is stored in different places depending on what you have.

Also, even if the original got lost, you may have backups.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smeier,

Are you getting some sort of error message about an Agile Keychain? Are you having trouble using 1Password since getting your Mac back?

An Agile Keychain is only used for syncing 1Password with Dropbox, or with the Folder sync option. If you have one, it would just be a copy of your data used for syncing. 1Password stores your data locally in an SQLite database file on your Mac, and if you use Dropbox or Folder sync, it copies changes between that SQLite file and the .agilekeychain (or .opvault) sync file.

However, you said you're "on a family plan". Do you mean you and your family use a 1Password Families account? If so, the 1Password app syncs your account vaults through our own servers and does not use an Agile Keychain to do that. But you also said you're using 1Password version 5 on your Mac, which is an older version that did not support 1Password Families accounts (or any 1Password.com accounts in general), so I may have misunderstood what you meant.

If you can give us more details about what's happening on your Mac (i.e. what you're trying to do, the steps you take to do it, what you expect to happen, what happens instead, any error messages you see, and so on), we should have a much better idea of how to help. Thanks in advance! :)

• smeier
    smeier
    Community Member

Hey @Drew_AG and @danco ! Sorry about the lack of information. I honestly am not very sure about the specifics of the problem. When I got this laptop, my family and I booted it up with a backup from a different laptop. That laptop already had a version of 1password on it, which I did not set up, and since then I have been using that account, which is my father's. Last week, my harddrive cable broke and when I received my laptop back from my college's tech service dept. they had updated the OS and in doing so somehow logged me out of my 1password account. When I try to open 1password 5 it asks me where my data is located. This is where I have trouble, because I am not sure where that data is and I do not believe it is currently stored on my computer. Is there any way to obtain the data/keychain/whatever is needed from somewhere other than my own computer. I have attached a screenshot of the request I receive when I try to open 1password. Thank you very much for the help!

• @smeier,

That agilekeychain file is only ever under your specific control, so unless you've backed it up to another drive or a service such as dropbox then I'm afraid your data is likely unrecoverable.

We only recently started offering 1Password.com accounts which are a combination of backup/sync service and all current and future versions of the native applications. Its certainly something to consider in the future.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.