Where is my Backup when looking in Carbon Copy Clone (or Time Machine)

imorton
imorton
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Mac

I am using 1Password version 6.5.5 from the AgileBits Store on my Macbook Pro (El Capitan).

I am trying to locate my 1Password backups, should I ever have an issue ex: my hard drive crashes.

I see that the "backup copy" is stored in my username folder, under the library folder which is HIDDEN (or not available), I see it's in the Application Support folder, than in the 1Password folder.

However, when I look, I don't see any 1Password backups in my Time Machine backups (nor in my Carbon Copy Clone, that I do nightly).

I am syncing with iCloud for 1Password, so if my hard drive hypothetically crashed, I could in theory boot off of my Carbon Copy Clone drive, but I don't see any 1Password backups on my CCC backup, nor in my Time Machine backups?

Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated, IAN.

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:backups

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@imorton: Thanks for asking, Ian! It's pretty easy to access your backups, even in the hidden folder. Just go to 1Password Preferences > Backups and click Find Files to have them open in a Finder window. You can also get to the Library manually in Finder using Go > Go to Folder (⌘ ⇧ G) and entering ~/Library/. More speficially regarding 1Password, ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/ will take you right there (for the AgileBits Store version; the Mac App Store version keeps its data in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/. Regarding your Time Machine and CarbonCopyCloner backups, provided you've included 1Password's support folder in them, you will find them in the same locations. But more importantly, a full disk backup from CarbonCopyCloner should include all of your data, with 1Password fully functional when you boot from it, so it's worth testing your backup to verify. There should be no need to restore from a 1Password backup file in that scenario, but it's good to have a fallback option — which it sounds like you already do, though I'd encourage you to backup offsite as well. Rock on! :sunglasses:

• imorton
    imorton
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

When I look on my CCC backup drive, I don't see my username/library folder... so I don't have the opportunity to see my 1Password. However when I tested my CCC clone, and booted up from it, I get a whole & complete boot up, even with 1Password.

I also checked my Backblaze offsite backups, and I see that I can drill down to that folder and see that my 1Password backup shows up there.

Sorry for being anal, but 2 local backups, and an offsite backup for me.... is vital... :)

Thanks a million for your help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! And there's no need to apologize - you can never have too many backups! :)

Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@imorton: Indeed, I'm glad you asked. Better safe than sorry! :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.