Can i prevent "clipboard manager apps" from being able to view copied data from 1password ?

vels
vels
Community Member

Im looking at starting using a "clipboard manager app" like http://copiedapp.com/ (no affiliation to me).

Basically they keep a record of all your clipboard data so you can recall it, very useful when copying and pasting multiple pieces of data.

My concern though is that the clipboard manager would automatically store any passwords that i copy from 1password, which i have to copy from time to time as not all website forms auto fill correctly / most desktop apps dont have the facility to be auto filled.

Can i prevent "clipboard manager apps" from being able to view copied data from 1password ?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.6 (660013)
Extension Version: Chrome - 4.6.3.90
OS Version: osx 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vels,

Thanks for asking about this. The answer can vary depending which clipboard manager app you're using and what it will/won't save from the clipboard.

With Copied for macOS, there's an answer under Q. Can I stop Copied from automatically saving my clipboard? in FAQ/Support - Copied.

With Pastebot for Mac, there's Keep Sensitive Data From Getting Saved info in Getting Started - Pastebot for Mac Help. And its Blacklist help says:

Applications that properly mark sensitive clippings as transient data also do not show up in Pastebot. So applications like 1Password are already blacklisted even if you don’t see them in the list. However for your own peace of mind, you can still add them.

While 1Password is doing its part by properly marking sensitive clippings as transient data when copying it to the clipboard, its ultimately up to other apps to honor it and not save copies of that data and/or have explicit blacklists that can include 1Password.

I hope that answers your question, even if partly indirectly. :)

This discussion has been closed.