How do I find my account key and password? I need to install 1PW on a new MacBook Pro.

imageal
imageal
Community Member

I have been using 1PW for years on my Mac and iPad. I have no idea how to get my 1PW files onto the new MBP. Can't find my account key, Master PW, etc.

1Password Version: 6.6
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I find my account key and password? I need to install 1PW on a new MacBook Pro.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The Master Password is known ONLY to you. But if you are using 1PW regularly, I assume you do in fact know it as you have had to enter it from time to time. If you have actually forgotten it you will have lost all your passwords and will have to start again.

The Account Key is a new(ish) feature. It is part of the subscription option at 1password.com, which is what AgileBits recommend for new users.

You can stay with the stand-alone licence, but on your new machine, when you run 1PW for the first time you must "continue without an account" (or some such words). You will then be asked where your data is, and there are options such as "another deice", "Dropbox", and so on. Again with your use on Mac and iPad, I would expect you used Dropbox or iCloud to sync, and can recover data from there.

If you transferred everything from your old machine to your new MBP, that should also have the data, and again you can look for it.

• @imageal,

Hopefully @danco's response was helpful to you, but let us know if you still have questions.

Rudy

• imageal
    imageal
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. In respect to the "account key" and master password, I was guilty of overthinking the question. The word "Master" temporarily threw me off. Once I entered the (master) password I use on my other devices, I was off and running. All data imported from Dropbox fine.

• @imageal,

That's great to hear. Let us know if you have any other questions in the future.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.