Syncing to iCloud gets stuck on "signing in"

Cathy Rundell
Cathy Rundell
Community Member

I'm running 1Password 6.6.1 on Mac OS 10.12.3. I decided to switch from dropbox to iCloud, mostly because some wifi networks block dropbox. I'm trying to do the initial sync to iCloud on my Mac. I choose sync to iCloud in 1Pwd prefs, it opens iCloud log in on my browser and after entering user name/pwd, it gets stuck with a spinning wheel on "signing in" ... Any ideas? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Cathy Rundell,

Sorry you're having a bit of trouble switching from Dropbox to iCloud!

Have you tried again to see if the same problem happens? If so, and the wheel keeps spinning on that sign-in page, switch back to 1Password and check the sync preferences to see if iCloud seems to be enabled and working. If so, you should be able to close out of that window in your browser.

On the other hand, if the 1Password app is still waiting for the sign-in process to complete in your browser, but the wheel keeps spinning, close out of that page in your browser, quit the browser and 1Password, and reboot your Mac. After it restarts, open 1Password and try enabling sync with iCloud again. Is there any difference this time, or does the same thing happen again?

• Cathy Rundell
    Cathy Rundell
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, Drew. It's still happening. I've restarted. Still happening. I'm able to log in to iCloud directly, but when 1Password does the log in (through the syncing process), it gets stuck "signing in". Here's what the window in 1Password looks like while this is happening. ...

• Cathy Rundell
    Cathy Rundell
    Community Member

Should I bet making any changes here?

• Hi @Cathy Rundell,

WLAN Server is completely unrelated to iCloud or Dropbox sync, so unless you're actually using it to locally sync between your iOS and Android device and your Mac you should probably turn that off entirely.

But back to your iCloud sync issue. The web browser should be done when it starts with its infinite spinning progress indicator, but its certainly possible that we're not getting the message telling 1Password to come to the foreground. Does it ever progress past the "Loading iCloud information…" state if you leave it long enough or does it spin forever?

Rudy

• Cathy Rundell
    Cathy Rundell
    Community Member

Thanks, Rudy. I've left it alone for up to 30 minutes, and it still looks like this -- spinning on browser page and on 1Password preference pane. If I log-in to iCloud independently, there's no problem. I've tried logging in to iCloud first, then going to the sync preference in 1Password, but it automatically opens a new browser window and gets stuck in the "signing in" phase all over again. Ugh.

• @Cathy Rundell,

I think I know what's happening, you've possibly configured a handler to have Chrome handle it rather than passing it off to 1Password. Unfortunately the solution here really sucks and ends up either resetting your Chrome Local State file or editing it by hand to remove the offending block in order to allow Chrome to ask you its handler question again. I can't for the life of me understand how they think that's even remotely practical.

A far simpler answer here is to switch your default browser to Safari to do the iCloud sign-in and then later switch it back to Chrome. You can do this via System Preferences -> General -> Default Web Browser.

If you really do want to fix chrome's configuration, the file in question is ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Local State But I think the risk of trying to hand edit it is probably too high and you might be better off just moving the file aside and letting chrome start over. It doesn't look like it keeps track of anything super important (bookmarks), so it should be safe to just rename it or move it out of that location and then launch Chrome again.

Rudy

• Cathy Rundell
    Cathy Rundell
    Community Member

OK, that first paragraph is so far over my head, I can't even tell you! hahahaha! But I switched to Safari and it worked! Thank you so much for your help!

• @Cathy Rundell,

Yeah, I wanted to make sure I thoroughly researched it and include all the information I found. I wish it were a simpler answer, but google seems to make it infuriately not easy to edit those entries. There were threads going back years of people finding alternative ways of editing it.

I'm glad you were able to get it working in Safari, let us know if you encounter any other oddities in the future.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.