multiple passwords after update

bjj
bjj
Community Member

Hi, I rarely use 1PW and I'm glad if I don't have to because it confuses me (the last upgrade was cruel). This morning 1PW had no access to the FileMaker Pro members site. The menu got stuck in midscreen and while browsing for entries I was offered to enroll with Facebook. Unable to get rid of the 1PW menu in midscreen eventually featuring a beachball I forced a system restart - getting stuck with a black screen. Success on second attempt though. Checking 1PW again, I found multiple entries for several of my sites, eg PayPal, which has me worried. Is there a straightforward, safe way to clean things up?

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:multiple passwords after update

Comments

• firebeyer
    firebeyer
    Community Member

Hey @BJJ,

If this is something that recently happened after an update, I would check to make sure you don't have a duplicate vault somehow. You can see your vaults by going to:

1Password6 Menu -> Preferences -> All Vaults

If you have a duplicate you should be able to safely uncheck one of them and see if you have all the passwords you should.

If you don't have a duplicate vault then you have managed to create multiple logins for the same site. If you are using unique passwords for each site, one easy way to clear out duplicates is by using the Duplicate Password Security Audit feature. Look under the duplicate passwords and find any websites that are displaying more than once. If the website and password match you should be safe to move one of them to trash by right clicking on it. The great thing about doing it this way is you will notice that once you remove the duplicates, the last one that has that same password will automatically disappear from the list but still be in your vault. Also if you make any mistakes that login will be sitting in your trash ready to be recovered.

Let me know if this works for you or if you need me to clear something up. I can't say this is the only way, but it's definitely one way to get the job done.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bjj,

I hope firebeyer's reply was helpful! I don't think the duplicates are related to the problem you had with the extension in your browser - as firebeyer said, it sounds like you somehow ended up creating a new vault with all the same items as an existing vault. If you open and unlock the main 1Password app, do you see the app switcher in the top left corner of the window? If so, it might be showing "All Vaults". Click on the vault switcher (or go to 1Password > Switch to Vault from the menu bar) and try selecting each vault there, one at a time. Do duplicate items appear in a single vault, or do you have copies of the same items in multiple vaults?

This discussion has been closed.