How do I setup 1password to sync with Dropbox?

guymal
guymal
Community Member

I saw a bunch of help articles about this but they all seem out dated.
How can I setup Dropbox sync?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I setup 1password to sync with Dropbox?

Comments

• Hi @guymal,

If you're new to 1Password Syncing, we highly recommend a 1Password.com membership. It is by far the easiest and safest way to sync 1Password items to multiple devices. If you're interested, you can find some more information about the benefits of a 1Password.com membership here:

https://support.1password.com/why-account/

If you're comfortable troubleshooting 3rd-party sync solutions, here is our guide for syncing with Dropbox:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

• guymal
    guymal
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I ran across that article and the problem is that it says "Click the Sync icon, then select the vault you want to sync" but I don't have the "Sync" option under preferences (I'm on Mac).
    Any ideas?

• Hi @guymal,

My apologies, it looks like you're already using a 1Password.com account, in which case you're already setup to sync! When you're ready to run 1Password another device just add your 1Password.com account to 1Password on that device and all your 1Password items will sync automatically.

We have a guide here for adding a device:

https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/?ios#set-up-the-apps

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Have a great day,

– Andrew

• guymal
    guymal
    Community Member

Sorry, I don't understand. I would like to sync to Dropbox. Can I do that?
    Do I need to sign up for a new account?

• @guymal,

Ok, let me take a peek under the hood to make sure I have a complete picture of how things are currently setup; I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• guymal
    guymal
    Community Member

Thanks I emailed that.
    The support ID I got is #QSJ-64173-544

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @guymal,

In case it helps, I wanted to reiterate that sync settings don't apply to 1Password.com accounts because the data in your account automatically syncs through our own servers. There's no need for any sync settings because there's no need to configure sync with a third party sync service like Dropbox or iCloud.

In other words, you don't need to use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data because we already take care of syncing for you - on another device, just sign into your account from the 1Password app, and your data will automatically sync. Because sync is built-in to 1Password.com accounts, you don't need any sync settings, and therefore you won't see them in Preferences.

Does that help to clear things up? If I misunderstood or something isn't working as it should, feel free to send us a diagnostics report as ag_andrew requested. Cheers! :)

• guymal
    guymal
    Community Member

Yes I understand that it automatically syncs with a 1password account.
    I would like to see how I can sync it using Dropbox.
    Thanks for the quick support!

• Hi @guymal,

Although we highly recommend using your 1Password.com account to sync your 1Password vault(s), because it is the easiest and safest way to use 1Password on multiple devices, if you still want to test syncing with Dropbox, you can go to:

Preferences > Advanced, and enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts"

Once you've entered your Master Password, go to Preferences > All Vaults, and change "Vault for Saving" to "Personal"

Then you can go to Preferences > Sync and enable dropbox sync.

I hope that helps give you a taste of Dropbox syncing, but do keep in mind that we recommend you stick with your 1Password account for the added ease and security.

Have a great day,

– Andrew

• guymal
    guymal
    Community Member

Awesome Andrew, that seems to be what I was looking for.
    Will check it out...

Thanks!

• Glad to help.

Take care,

– Andrew

• guymal
    guymal
    Community Member

I see there that only "Primary Vault" appears in the Sync menu.
    Can I sync "Personal" to Dropbox?
    If not, is there a way to copy all the records from Personal to Primary?

• Personal cannot be synced to Dropbox because it is already being synced via your 1Password.com account. You may copy items to the Primary vault by right clicking one or more items and selecting Share.

– Andrew

• guymal
    guymal
    Community Member

Got it, thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Andrew, you're very welcome! Please let us know if you need more help or have any questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.