Browser could not be verified (Firefox) 51.0.1

Options
Logitec
Logitec
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello together,
i'm using 1Password (6.6), 1Password Extension (4.6.3) and Firefox (51.0.1)... i think the extension isn't working since the 1Password update on 01.03.2017 to version 6.6 or maybe the mac os update to 10.12.3 brought the problems. I made both updates at the same day.

I deleted the browser and the browser extension without success. Interestingly the extension in Safari works without problems.

Any idea how to fix this?

1Password Version: 6.6
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Logitec
    Logitec
    Community Member
    Options

Push

• Hi @Logitec,

Where is Firefox living on your disk? Typically this happens when the path to Firefox is somewhere out of reach of 1Password's sandbox and we can't read its codesignature to verify it. I recommend making sure that Firefox is in /Applications.

rick

• jbmfc
    jbmfc
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing something like this. But mine is intermittent, where it will be working for a little while, but then give me the "Browser could not be verified" message in the extension. My Firefox is in /Applications. I've restarted Firefox and I shutdown after work so I've reboot often. I haven't identified when it "goes bad," will try paying attention next time.

1Password 6.6.2 (662005), AgileBits Store
    Firefox (Mac) 51.0.1 (64-bit)
    Firefox 1Password add-on: 4.6.3, Last updated: March 9
    Mac Sierra 10.12.3

I use a Dropbox sync'd vault, accessed from Mac and iPhone.

-Jim

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jbmfc,

Thanks for writing in, normally when this happens and Firefox is involved it's due to some kind of network proxy application intercepting browser traffic. This can affect 1Password because when the 1Password extension attempts to make a local network connection from the browser to the main 1Password app, the third-party application which intercepts the traffic prevents the 1Password app from verifying the source of the connection. The 1Password app then rejects the connection and displays that error message. This is one possibility for why the "browser could not be verified" message appears.

Now, for how to investigate this - the first thing to check is if you have any Anti-Virus apps installed (e.g. Sophos) as many Anti-Virus apps cause this kind of behaviour. Alternatively, other apps that exhibit this kind of behaviour are proxy apps, browser extensions that act like proxy and apps that offer "notification disabling" such as the Freedom app.

So if you have any of those apps installed just reply here, hopefully I'll recognize them and will be able to help you configure it to work with 1Password.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• jbmfc
    jbmfc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's it!
    I'm using Charles while doing development. So sounds like I need to let 1Password know to "trust" it to connect just on my local machine?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jbmfc,

Great stuff :chuffed: now hopefully we can get it configured to play nice with 1Password. 1Password relies on the local address 127.0.0.1 to be excluded by any proxy app. I had a search for the documentation for Charles (looks like a useful app, I'm happy to have learned about it!) and found this which will hopefully help:

https://www.charlesproxy.com/documentation/configuration/proxy-settings/

The section titled Bypass Domains in the documentation should revet what you need to do. Please try adding 127.0.0.1 to this Bypass Domains list and apply the configuration. That should let the connection from 1Password's extension through to the 1Password app without going through the proxy. Now, I hear you say - "eh, but I'm developing locally so this isn't going to work!"... Hmmm, if you do then in that case you might need to configure Charles to only bypass connections that use the ports that the 1Password extension uses although I couldn't see if Charles supports bypassing specific ports on an address. Just in case it does, the ports 1Password connects on are:

6263, 10196, 14826, 24866, 25012, 38156, 46365, 49806, 55735, 59488

I hope this helps - please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• jbmfc
    jbmfc
    Community Member
    Options

Works!

Thanks very much, Matthew, I understand what's going on now.

Yes, I'm developing locally, but fortunately for now the only stuff going to 127.0.0.1 I don't need to be watching in Charles, so the bypass on the proxy is fine.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Perfect, glad that worked for you :chuffed:

Do let us know if you've any other questions about 1Password or hit other issues - we'd be happy to help.

All the best,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.