Feature request: 2FA autofill or shortcut to assist filling

Options
ulope
ulope
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

dealing with two factor authentication is really painful right now. It takes around 5 or more additional actions (open 1pw mini, hit left arrow, hit downarrow a bunch of times, hit enter, paste, enter) to log into a site protected by 2FA compared to a regular login.

Please provide a way of autofilling 2FA tokens (either a second shortcut or even better some intelligence in the plugin to detect that the field is a 2FA input).

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ulope,

We use a number of sites here at AgileBits where 2FA is enabled so we too will benefit from this. I can't say when it might be but like yourself I look forward to the day where 1Password helps us.

• cruise2001
    cruise2001
    Community Member
    Options

Great suggestion.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can't disagree.

• 1passlova
    1passlova
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I understand that autocompletion for one-time passwords isn't in the books because it's too difficult to implement without the HTML standards for that type of thing.

Still, users shouldn't have to open up 1Password every time they need their one-time password. That's the equivalent of the hassle that was unlocking your phone to get to Google Authenticator.

There should be a hotkey opens up a dialogue with a list of one-time passwords for the current website.

That would make life way easier.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @1passlova,

I hope you don't mind but I've merged your request with another thread. It's a different title then you might have seen when you posted so don't be surprised if you didn't see it when you looked.

We are painfully aware this is something that would help our users and it would help us too. I can't say when such a feature will be added or what shape it will take but like yourself I hope we can do something here too. I apologise there isn't anything more concrete I can say at this stage though.

• 1passlova
    1passlova
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks for understanding! With all due respect, I think it'd be relatively easy to implement (I could do it with with HTML and JavaScript in an hour or two) although I know it's done with native code. It's really just a UI thing. Hotkey, and then an interface pops up with the tokens for each account beside it.

I'm hoping there aren't silos and complicated systems at 1Password that prevent you guys from getting features like this out. That'd be a shame.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @1passlova. It's not really a question of "silos" or "complicated systems" but more of coordination and resources. The feature you're describing would require coordination among the Mac, Windows, and extensions teams and each of those teams has a long list of items that frankly are more important right now.

We do have a feature in testing for 1Password for Mac to allow you to copy the TOTP value immediately after filling. Right now, the beta and stable channels are pointing to the same build, so it's not available just now. But if you enable beta updates in 1Password > Preferences > Updates, then after the next beta release comes along, filling a Login with a TOTP field available will automatically copy that TOTP value to the clipboard. This is pretty rough around the edges right now, so it's only in beta, and it may not make it to a stable release for a while, but for users that want to live on the leading edge, it's there for the testing. We'd love if you gave it a try and let us know how it works for you.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• 1passlova
    1passlova
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@jxpx777 thanks! That's understandable. That type of implementation (copy after fill in) could get a little tricky with services like Amazon that require a separate MFA token for each service (one for Amazon and one for AWS), but that share the same username and password.

Regardless, it's nice to know you guys have thought about it and hopefully we'll get to use it in the future.

I'll definitely be trying the beta version out and can't wait to see how it gets polished over time.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @1passlova,

Thanks for understanding and glad to hear you'll give the beta a go. :chuffed:
    I can't wait until we get TOTP into stable either, it's going to be a great addition.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.