Questions about migration

This discussion was created from comments split from: Copying files between vaults shows different item counts.

Comments

• jabyuk
    jabyuk
    Community Member

I have just experienced the same issue moving my data from a legacy vault on my Mac to a new Family personal vault. I now understand from reading this thread that this is because I have documents attached to my legacy vault and that these are separated out in the new Family version. The problem with this explanation (or this behaviour) is that I have no way of verifying that all of my items were properly copied across. It would provide me with reassurance if I could see that the number in my new vault was the same as the number in my old vault. As I have over 1,300 entries I cannot manually check this. I should be able to verify the copy operation has succeeded and having the same count on either side of the operation is one way of doing this.

I followed the Mac instructions from here: https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/

BTW - the migration to the Family version of your product is extremely clunky and not remotely intuitive if you have more than one legacy vault. No fancy wizard is available for this scenario and no guidance is automatically provided. The process required me to seek help from your support pages making it all take longer than expected and making the process an unpleasant experience. It also did not make it clear that if you have the legacy product then you should ideally keep the master passwords the same. I only learned this later.

• Hi @jabyuk,

With the Mac app, you can use "Show item count in sidebar" preference under General (at the bottom). This will let you see counts per category which would allow you to compare the counts of the various categories in the vaults to ensure that they match.

I 100% agree that our migration process needs more work. There actually is a wizard to help guide you through it, but it will only show in specific circumstances. The most common reason for it not showing up is when there are items in the account's Personal vault. In this case the app assumes that you've done the migration somewhere else and doesn't offer it. We've adjusted this slightly in the 6.6 releases to help with some cases.

What we really need is a way to be able to run the migration multiple times and have it not do any harm. Right now you end up with duplicates which is a pain to manage. There's a few different solutions to that, but so far we aren't super happy with any of them. We'll keep working on that problem.

Rick

• Junrong
    Junrong
    Community Member

I also have an issue with the migration. I have a standalone 1P 6 for Mac and a family account (Trail). I had moved items into my personal vault, but when I click individual item, it would not launch the web page, would not fill in the required fields, nor sign into the site. I am not sure why and there is no guidence to follow. I have spend a lot of time going through 'Chats' in this Forum, try to 'Learn' how this new system works differently, very frustrating (I am very happy with the standalone version, but not this online subscription one !). Please help.
    Junrong

• I just answered this question in the thread you posted so let's keep the conversation going there for now. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.