1Password 6.6.2 upgrade "Trial Expired"

Clint MacDonald
Clint MacDonald
Community Member

I have 1Password 6 purchased directly from the AgileBits site. I am syncing it through Dropbox. Upgraded today (March 6, 2017) to 1Password version 6.6.2. When 1Password restarted, it claims my Trial has expired. If I go to License... in the 1Password 6 menu, it asks me to purchase a license. If I click Add License..., it opens a file dialog, but does not let me enter my license key. How should I proceed?

Thank you!

Clint

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Clint MacDonald
    Clint MacDonald
    Community Member

Followup: I restored 1Password 6.6.1 from a backup, and the error went away. 1Password 6 > License... says I purchased this version on the Mac App Store, although I thought I had converted to the 1Password direct download version. Have I done something wrong? Thanks! - Clint

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Clint MacDonald,

I'm sorry you ran into some trouble with the latest update! It sounds like you originally purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, and then at some point started using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password instead. That's fine, because the AgileBits Store version will activate itself if it detects that you previously purchased/installed the Mac App Store version. However, apparently that didn't work correctly for you in the 6.6.2 update.

First, please try updating to 6.6.2 again (from the main 1Password app, go to 1Password 6 > Check for Updates in the menu bar). Once you've installed the update, unlock 1Password with your master password and check 1Password 6 > Licenses again. Does it ask you to purchase a license, or does it show that you bought it from the Mac App Store?

If it still shows that it's in trial mode and says you need to buy a license, please follow these steps:

1. Hold down the control key on your keyboard and go to 1Password 6 > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.
    2. Reinstall 1Password from the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to buy it). You should now have two copies of 1Password in the Applications folder: 1Password.app and 1Password 6.app.
    3. Open 1Password.app (which is the Mac App Store version) from Applications, then hold down the control key on your keyboard and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.
    4. Drag 1Password.app to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning tools).
    5. Open 1Password 6.app from Applications and check 1Password 6 > Licenses again.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• michalis_patelis
    michalis_patelis
    Community Member

Hi,
    I have EXACTLY the same problem as Clint MacDonald. After the upgrade to v6.6.2 that opened up the "Trial expired" problem, I restored v6.6.1 which worked fine and, checking the License, it said that it had been purchase on the Mac App Store.

I then followed all the steps suggested by Drew_AG and, at the end, the "Trial expired" problem was still present.

Then I went back and re-installed the version from the Mac App Store (v6.6.2), but did not trash the v6.6.2 from AgileBits (i.e. I kept both apps in my /Applications directory, side by side). When I opened the v6.6.2. from the Mac App Store, it did not report a "Trial expired" message but, the License was asking that the app should be bought!

Finally, I restored v6.6.1 again (from AgileBits) which is running OK, as it did before the attempted upgrade. I did not perform any restarts of my laptop in between changing versions, etc.

I hope this is of some help in identifying the problem.

Thanks!

• Antanas
    Antanas
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hi,
    I have EXACTLY the same problem as Clint MacDonald.
    I do not have the option to return to the previous version
    Your recommendations, Click, Delete, Restore. They did not decide anything !!!

In AppStore program to buy again I will not. Until the last update, everything was in order with my Bought License!
    The license was purchased on October 11, 2013
    On all devices - iPhone's / iPad's and Mac (iOS/Mac OS)

On iOS, there are no problems with the license.
    This is your second time such a problem after the upgrade, with a license!

How to be? I need a program !!!

Thanks!

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member

I had the same problem, but went to the Mac App Store and saw that I hadn't paid for 1Password since I bought it in 2011 on MAS (I think?), so I bought another license.

• PresentMe
    PresentMe
    Community Member

I updated to 6.6.2, and I am having the same problem with "Trial expired. Click here to buy." I originally downloaded 1Password from the MacApp store but after the November 2015 Apple certificate/damaged file debacle, I had to download from AgileBits which then automatically licensed the file. I have performed all five steps given by Drew_AG, but that didn't help. I sent an email to AgileBits support with proof of my purchase from the MacApp store, but received back only a form email that links to a page that has the same five steps given by Drew_AG. Since you have proof of my purchase, please send me a license key.

• Antanas
    Antanas
    Community Member

We need help and a solution!
    Employees Support Center, why be silent ??

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @michalis_patelis,

Thanks for contacting us for help! I see that you also emailed us about this and have been working with Andrew to solve the problem. To avoid confusion, we'll keep the conversation going directly via email so we don't duplicate efforts between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: KAB-27812-936

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Antanas,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this! We generally reply to the oldest threads in the list first and work toward the newest. Unfortunately, each time a new comment is added to a discussion, the timestamp on the thread is updated and it gets bumped up to the top of the list (i.e. "the newest").

In AppStore program to buy again I will not. Until the last update, everything was in order with my Bought License!

If I understand what you mean, it sounds like the Mac App Store version of 1Password is saying you need to purchase a license again. Are you sure you previously purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store? If so, are you signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID you used to make that purchase?

On the other hand, if you originally purchased a license from our AgileBits Store, you're probably seeing the "Trial Expired" message for a different reason. In that case, the steps here may help: If you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store

The license was purchased on October 11, 2013
    On all devices - iPhone's / iPad's and Mac (iOS/Mac OS)

Standalone licenses for the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password are sold separately, so if you only purchased one license, that would have been for either Mac or iOS, but not both. Is it possible you purchased the iOS version of 1Password from the iOS App Store?

If you're positive you bought the Mac version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, the AgileBits Store version of 1Password should be able to detect your Mac App Store receipt as long as you've had the Mac App Store version installed on that same Mac before. If the AgileBits Store version can find the receipt but is having trouble reading it, the steps here should fix it: If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store

If those steps don't help, please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danielcompton,

I had the same problem, but went to the Mac App Store and saw that I hadn't paid for 1Password since I bought it in 2011 on MAS (I think?), so I bought another license.

Thank you for your purchase! However, you shouldn't need to purchase another license for the Mac version of 1Password if you previously bought it from the Mac App Store. If you'd like some help to figure that out, please let us know. :)

• Antanas
    Antanas
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

I bought separate licenses for different OS!
    For ios, my license was bought in AppSore
    For MacOS, I bought on the site

Problems with the license for iOS No!

And not one-shot attempts to restore the license for McAOS bought from you on the site do not give a positive result! I last year wrote in support of me expelled, somehow the files and everything fell into place! And again the same situation happened again a year after the program was updated!

The address to which I registered the purchase of [email addresses removed by AgileBits], I can make mistakes for the reason that the purchase was made in 2013

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PresentMe,

I'm very sorry to hear you're also having this problem! If you previously purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, re-downloading the Mac App Store version should update the receipt on your Mac so the AgileBits Store version can read it correctly and activate itself. The steps in this knowledgebase article should help: If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store

If you followed those steps but the AgileBits Store still cannot read your receipt for the Mac App Store version, we'll be happy to look further into that. However, it might be much easier for you to simply switch back to the Mac App Store version. The problem you described (from 2015) was a general certificate issue in the Mac App Store that affected various apps, but it was easily solved by either rebooting the Mac, signing out of and back into the Mac App Store, or deleting & reinstalling the 1Password app. And if you were able to follow the steps from the link above, that means the Mac App Store version of 1Password is working correctly on your Mac.

If you decide to switch back to the Mac App Store version but it has older data, you can reset that version by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data (you'll need to lock the app first before doing that). Relaunch the Mac App Store version if necessary, and you'll see the 'Welcome' screen. Select More Options > Search my Mac > 1Password from the AgileBits Store, then click Use Selected Vault.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Antanas,

I edited your post to remove your email addresses, as this is a public forum and we don’t want you to get any unsolicited email. :)

For MacOS, I bought on the site

Do you mean you purchased a license from our web store? If you have a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac, you don't need to reinstall the Mac App Store version - you just need to activate the AgileBits Store version with your license file as explained here: https://support.1password.com/trial-expired/#if-you-purchased-1password-from-the-agilebits-store

Before removing your email addresses from your message, I tried searching for them in our license system but didn't find anything. But if you think you made a purchase from our website with a different address, you can have your license sent to you by following the steps in the above link.

If I misunderstood, and your purchase was from the Mac App Store but you're unable to solve the problem by reinstalling the Mac App Store version, would you be able to send us a copy or screenshot of the email receipt you received from Apple when you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store? If so, you can send it to support+licenses@agilebits.com along with a link to this forum discussion and your username. You should receive an automated response from our BitBot assistant, and if you post the support ID from that email here, we'll find your email and make sure you hear back from us soon. Thanks! :)

• Clint MacDonald
    Clint MacDonald
    Community Member

Drew_AG: That worked! I am sorry it took me a few days to try it, but the control-Quit, download 1Password from the Mac App Store, then re-control-Quit worked. I recommend to all the others complaining on this thread to give it a try. It might just fix their problems, too.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
    Clint

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @Clint MacDonald! Thanks for following up to confirm that worked for you. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need anything else, we're here for you. Have a great weekend! :)

• giacom
    giacom
    Community Member

Hi, I've the same problem and even after following the instructions I couldn't manage to solve it.
    I purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store in 2013. It now says that my trial has expired...
    I've contacted your customer service team via email but they provided my with a link to the support paga...

Please help me fixing this issue !!

• Cylidd
    Cylidd
    Community Member

Okay. I got it. The trick from Clint MacDonald (AgileBits) works, but you have to install and open an old version of 1Password. The one you purchased from the app store the first time. Installing a new version doesn't work (I've tried the « trick » many times, on two different computers). Hoping this help someone! ;)

• watash
    watash
    Community Member

After downloading the update today I received the Trial expired message everyone talks about. I am quite certain that I bought and downloaded all versions from the web site for MAC OS (I did buy all IOS apps from the Apple store). All messages and emails to Agile have not worked or provided me with my license code. In desperation, I reinstalled an older version of 1Password 6.5.5 from Time machine. The problem now is that when I click on the License in 1Password menu I get a pop up that says "Purchased on the Mac App Store". Very bizarre, confusing and frustrating...why cant you fix this problem?

• @watash,

Based on what you wrote the most likely scenario is that you installed from the Mac App Store a really long time ago and have been using that receipt ever since to license the Agile Store version of 1Password. In 1Password 6.6 we changed how the fallback receipt validation worked and that really old receipt was no longer valid. If you re-install the Mac App Store version from the Purchases tab and then re-launch the Agile Store version it should remedy the situation.

The next 1Password update will detect this situation and display an alert instructing you to do the same.

Rudy

• watash
    watash
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I checked my purchases tab on the App Store and 1Password does not appear. As an aside, I did purchase 1Password for my wife's Mac computer and it does show up on her purchased list. Could there be a cross-talk problem or confusion in that regard?

• @watash,

It might be possible that you ended up with her receipt somehow. If its a shared machine you could certainly login to the app store with her apple ID and download it onto your machine to the same end (retrieving a new receipt). Another option is Family Sharing, which would actually cause 1Password to show up in your purchases list. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088

Rudy

• watash
    watash
    Community Member

OK, downloaded from the app store as I already had Family Sharing on. So far, so good as it is running ok. Fingers crossed...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's good news! I hope it continues to work well, but please let us know if you run into more problems. :)

• Clint MacDonald
    Clint MacDonald
    Community Member

The version of 1Password released today (March17, 2017) no longer has the “Trial Expired” issue. Well done!

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @Clint MacDonald! Sorry for the inconvenience :)

This discussion has been closed.