Is it possible to sync with drop box and iCloud simultaneously?

marty_b
marty_b
Community Member

I'm asking because I would like to know if it's possible to use 1Password on Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS and have it sync both to DropBox (for Windows and Linux) and iCloud for my iOS devices?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marty_b,

Thank you for writing in with your question! Dropbox and iCloud are two separate cloud sync services that do not sync with each other. If you want to sync the same 1Password data to all of your devices, they would all need to be using the same sync method. Similarly, 1Password cannot sync a vault with both Dropbox and iCloud at the same time.

We don't have a 1Password app for Linux, and 1Password for Windows doesn't support syncing with iCloud. However, you can use Dropbox to sync 1Password on Mac, iOS, and Windows.

An even better option would be to sign up for a 1Password.com account. One of the benefits to using an account is that you don't need to configure any sync settings at all - you would simply sign into your account from the 1Password app on each device, and the data in your account would automatically sync there. 1Password.com accounts also include web access to your data, which means you would be able to access your data from a web browser on Linux.

For more information about the benefits of an account, please check out this support article: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• marty_b
    marty_b
    Community Member

What is the reason for not allowing users to sync to multiple locations?

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marty_b,

We actually tried something like that at one point in an older version (on iOS, I think). To make a long story short, that can (and did) cause problems. Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you'd like to sync one vault with multiple cloud sync services at the same time? If I understand, you use Dropbox to sync 1Password between Mac and Windows, but not iOS. Why not use Dropbox to sync 1Password with iOS as well?

• marty_b
    marty_b
    Community Member

Well it's not a big deal but my logic is as follows: iCloud is really nicely integrated into everything Apple. It works great and it works seamlessly. Unfortunately it's not available on windows. So for Windows I have to use drop box but everything else id rather not use it. I don't want to put drop box on all my Apple mobile devices (for example). Dropbox is an app I'd have to install on everything whereas iCloud is built in.

So it would be nice to be able to use iCloud for Apple and drop box for windows.

Are there any plans to support google drive and/or whatever built in cloud solution Microsoft surely has now?

Didn't realize you didn't have a Linux app, that would be nice but I guess most Linux users are not big fans of buying software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@marty_b: It's important to note that while Dropbox and iCloud (and pretty much any other sync service you can think of) are trying to accomplish the same task (keep your data up to date across your devices), the way they go about doing so is very different under the hood. So trying to sync the same data between them can have unexpected results. And, as you point out, using 3rd party sync services in some cases necessitates installing software, and I'll also add this means an additional login to get to your 1Password data; so we've built 1Password.com to make a more seamless experience for syncing, and also so that folks don't have to manage licenses or configure sharing for individual vaults -- not to mention automatic offsite backup and item history. So we're focused on that right now, rather than developing, testing, and supporting additional 3rd party providers that where we have no control over the experience, and things can change or break where we can't fix them.

However, while it would be nice if Apple offered CloudKit (which is needed to sync data with iCloud) on Windows, they don't. But the Dropbox app is only needed on the desktop; so the mobile version of 1Password can connect to Dropbox without having to install any additional software. It sounds like that alone might help in your case. Cheers! :)

• marty_b
    marty_b
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, yes I see where you're coming from there. 1Password.com however costs $36/year per user and DropBox and iCloud are free (or at least free for the amount data required to sync 99.9% of vaults). $36/year is not a lot but it ads up over many users. We still prefer to use software that we can buy rather than "rent" in general also.

I didn't know you don't have to install any software on iOS devices to use DropBox sync so maybe I should just switch to that. That's helpful, thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! If you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.