Bought the $64.99 version on Mac OS...how do I create a second vault?

megwatson
megwatson
Community Member

I bought the %=$64.99 version of 1Password on MAC OS. I also have downloaded the IOS version on several devices. I have been using it happily for about a month. But, now I want to add a second vault. I can't figure out how. I saw something about getting the monthly subscription, but I already PAID A LOT for this. What is the answer??

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.6 (660013) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• megwatson
    megwatson
    Community Member

Just happened on the right answer...on the Mac OS version, there is a bug. You must create the Demo vault to get the "New Vault" menu option to show up.

All is good now. :-)

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@megwatson Just to be sure you understand, iCloud sync will only allow you to sync one vault. To sync your secondary vault(s) you will need Dropbox or folder sync. And that Mac bug only affected 1Password bought from the Mac App Store, and is already corrected in the recent 6.6.2 update.

• megwatson
    megwatson
    Community Member

That's unfortunate about the iCloud sync. Do you know if that is likely to change anytime soon?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@megwatson It's been Apple's policy since the App Store opened, so I wouldn't expect to see that change any time soon. But I have no real knowledge of their plans.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @megwatson,

I'm sorry you had trouble creating a second vault! As vplewis mentioned, there was a bug causing the "New Vault" option to be hidden, but that was fixed in a recent update. If you're now using version 6.6.2 on your Mac, you should have no trouble creating a new vault.

As far as syncing vaults, vplewis is also correct that only the Primary vault can sync via iCloud. You can sync your second vault via Dropbox: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

If you need any help with that or have more questions, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• megwatson
    megwatson
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

So, Apple controls how many vaults you can store in the iCloud?

I don't/won't use Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @megwatson,

Hmm, I think there might be some confusion about one of vplewis' replies - Apple doesn't limit how many vaults we can sync through iCloud. Technically 1Password could be programmed to be able to sync multiple vaults with iCloud. However, one of the main reasons why most customers create a secondary vault is to share it with someone else - and historically, iCloud has not allowed data from one iCloud account to be shared with a different iCloud account.

The easiest way to sync multiple vaults is by using a 1Password.com account. With an account, all your vaults are automatically synced to each device, as syncing is done at the account level rather than the vault level. And there aren't any sync settings to configure - you would simply sign in to your account in the 1Password app on each device, and you account data automatically syncs there.

If you don't want to sign up for a 1Password.com account, you can find information about the other sync options here: Sync your 1Password data

Please let us know if you have more questions about that. :)

• megwatson
    megwatson
    Community Member

I was under the impression that in order to create an account I needed a license key, which I don't have. Can I create an account without signing po for a monthly service?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@Drew_AG So you're saying that Apple doesn't prohibit AgileBits from setting up multiple vault syncing via iCloud, but that AgileBits chooses not to implement that feature?

From the link you just posted:

iCloud. If you only use Apple devices and only have a single local vault, you can sync it with iCloud. It’s only available on Mac and iOS, and only syncs your Primary vault.

Maybe that's why I was "confused."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @megwatson,

You don't need a license key to create an account - licenses and accounts are two different ways to purchase & use 1Password.

If you had purchased a standalone license from our AgileBits Store, you would have received a 'license key' in order to activate the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. But if you purchased a standalone license from the Mac App Store, you don't need a license key because purchases from the Mac App Store are tied to your Apple ID.

A 1Password.com account is a subscription service, and has nothing to do with licenses (you don't need a license to sign up for an account). A 1Password.com account gives you access to the latest version of the 1Password app on all supported platforms, including the Pro features in the iOS and Android versions (and there are no upgrade fees - new versions are included in the subscription). An account also includes seamless sync, web access to your data, and more. We have more information here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

It sounds like you purchased the Mac App Store version not too long ago - if you'd like to switch to a 1Password.com account but can no longer get a refund from Apple, please send us an email to support+sales@agilebits.com with a copy of your email receipt from the Mac App Store and we'll be happy to help you out. (If you email us, be sure to include a link to this forum discussion).

I hope that helps to clear up the confusion, but please let us know if you have more questions! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vplewis,

Sorry for any confusion! As I mentioned above, Apple doesn't limit how many vaults can be synced via iCloud. But there are limitations when it comes to sharing data from one iCloud account to another, which is one reason we only implemented syncing via iCloud with the Primary vault. Another reason is that CloudKit doesn't have an accessible file/folder structure the same way that Dropbox does, so we would need to come up with an interface for choosing which sync file to use in an iCloud account. Basically, it's much easier said than done.

If you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.