Issue with 1Password on second computer.

segovius
segovius
Community Member

I'm using the latest version (6.6.2) on both my iMac and my MacBookPro. Both syncing to Dropbox. No issues at all on iMac but the laptop is displaying the following odd behaviour:

App is in the dock and when I click 'Sign Out' it goes back to the dock and shows the icon of the login screen. However when I click again it opens **without ** asking me to log in!! Ie it appears to be constantly open even though the dock icon shows the login screen (I get a flash of this login screen when enlarging from the dock but it goes immediately to the open app without asking for my password). Essentially I can't seem to log out and the app does not log out either after any time - have set to 1min to check.

It does not do this on my iMac. Only difference is the iMac is running El Capitan 10.11.6 and the MBP is running latest build of Sierra. This can't be good can it?

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @segovius,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I'm not sure where you're clicking a "Sign Out" option, but if the 1Password app shrinks down to an icon in your Dock, it sounds like you're simply minimizing the app window. That's a feature of the Mac operating system, and you can minimize most windows/apps by clicking the yellow button in the top left corner, going to Window > Minimize in the menu bar, or using the ⌘M keyboard shortcut.

When most apps/windows are minimized to the Dock, their icon will be a miniature, static version of what they looked like before being minimized. But to prevent your private 1Password data from being displayed in the minimized icon, 1Password will instead appear as a miniature version of its lock screen window. That doesn't mean it's actually locked, though - it's just a way to conceal your private data.

There are other ways to have 1Password automatically lock itself, and you can find information about those settings here: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Or if you'd like to lock 1Password immediately, you can click the padlock icon in the top right corner of the main 1Password app window, go to 1Password > Lock in the menu bar, or use the ^⌥⌘L (Control+Option+Command+L) keyboard shortcut.

I hope this helps to explain the behavior you described, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

• segovius
    segovius
    Community Member

HIya, sorry I did not mean 'Sign Out' - my mistake. I mean 'Quit 1Password' from the 1Password 6 menu. It's minimising as you say but should it also not present me with a sign-in screen when I maximise after Quitting? It never does... is always open even after I quit. But it does on the El Capitan machine.

Does it make sense?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @segovius,

Thanks for the clarification! It sounds like you're trying to quit the main 1Password app. I don't know why it's minimizing to the Dock instead of quitting, but quitting the app will not lock it. So whether you minimize the app window or quit the app, it will still be unlocked when you open it again (unless one of the auto-lock settings caused it to lock itself in the meantime). Please make sure you take a look at this article: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.