Can I sync the same vault to both iCloud and Dropbox at the same time?

CoryT87
CoryT87
Community Member

I want to sync my vault to both iCloud and Dropbox without having to create separate vaults and syncing that way. Is this possible and if so, how?

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 Beta (16E183b)
Sync Type: iCloud and Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can I sync the same vault to both iCloud and Dropbox?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CoryT87,

No, a vault cannot be synced with iCloud and Dropbox at the same time. I'm curious why you would want to, though? If you don't mind elaborating, we'd love to understand more about that. Thanks! :)

• CoryT87
    CoryT87
    Community Member

@Drew_AG,

The reason is so when I create a new login then it'll automatically sync with both services instead of having to make a copy and add it to the Dropbox vault.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @CoryT87. Do you mean you have two vaults in 1Password, and you want to have all the same data in both vaults? If so, is there a reason why you need to do that? Having duplicate items in another vault might become confusing, especially since changes you make to items in one vault won't sync to the corresponding items in the other. What do you use the second vault for if you already have all those items in the first vault?

• CoryT87
    CoryT87
    Community Member

@Drew_AG

I use the second vault for when I have to use a windows computer or my Android tablet.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CoryT87,

Ah, I see what you mean. In that case, why not just sync them all via Dropbox? You're already using Dropbox to sync between Mac, Windows, and Android. Do you also use 1Password for iOS? The iOS version can also sync with Dropbox, so you can simplify things for yourself by keeping just one vault and using Dropbox to sync it between all your devices.

If you decide to do that, just make sure you don't merge your current Primary vault with your existing sync file in Dropbox (the one syncing with your second vault), as that will result in duplicates. Instead, as long as the second vault is up to date with all your latest information, you can reset the 1Password app on Mac/iOS and set it up again by syncing with the sync file in Dropbox. If you need any help with that, we'll be happy to go into further detail.

Or if there's a reason you need to also be using iCloud to sync 1Password for Mac/iOS, we'd be curious to know! :)

This discussion has been closed.