upgrade from version 5 to version 6 on Mac

jannekeb
jannekeb
Community Member

I just bought the upgrade for Mac which is supposed to upgrade my version 5 to version 6. I have downloaded the new version and it shows up in my downloads folder; it then appears to install and yet version 6.6 does not appear in my Applications folder. Where is it and why did I pay for it if it won't upgrade??

1Password Version: version 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade doesn't install

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jannekeb,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble installing 1Password 6!

1Password 6 for Mac is a free upgrade if you already have a license for 1Password 5 for Mac. That wouldn't have anything to do with the installation problem, but I wanted to mention it in case it turns out you didn't need to make a purchase. We'll be happy to look into that if you'd like.

As far as the installation, how many 1Password apps do you currently have in the Applications folder on your Mac? What are their names? If you see 1Password 5.app (with or without the file extension), you should be able to open that one and go to 1Password 5 > Check for Updates from the menu bar. That should allow you to install the update to version 6, and it should replace version 5 on your Mac.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• jannekeb
    jannekeb
    Community Member

I think I may have paid for an upgrade I didn't need. I had 1Password5 and now when I launch it it says I have 1Password 6.5.3. Is that the latest version? Did I need to pay $32+ for that?? If not, can I get a refund? I thought I had to pay for the upgrade. In my applications folder it still doesn't show up as 1Password 6 and keeps showing 1Password5 but the "about" page tells me it's 6.5.3.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jannekeb,

I searched our license system for the email address from your forum account, and it looks like you received a license for 1Password 2/3 for Mac back in 2008. I also see your purchase from a couple days ago when you upgraded your license to the latest version. I don't see any other purchases, so I'm not sure how you would have been using 1Password 5 for Mac without purchasing an upgrade (1Password 4/5/6 for Mac is a paid upgrade from 1Password 3).

If you think you may have previously purchased an upgrade to version 4/5/6 from the AgileBits Store under a different email address, you can have your license resent to you from the "I lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site.

Or is it possible you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store at some point? Purchases from the Mac App Store are through Apple so we wouldn't have information about that in our own system, but that might explain why you were able to use version 5 without a license for the AgileBits Store version.

As far as the name of the app file in the Applications folder, that's very strange that it would still be named "1Password 5" if the 'about' window shows that it's actually 6.5.3. However, there's actually a newer version (6.6.2), so to install that, I recommend these steps:

• Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag the 1Password app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might also delete your data).
    • Empty the Trash.
    • Reboot your Mac (important).
    • Once it restarts, download a fresh copy of 1Password for Mac from our download site and install it.
    • Once it is reinstalled, go to the Applications folder and you should see a "1Password 6" app file - double-click on it to make sure it opens correctly.

Let us know how it goes, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.