How can I enable "Fill and Submit" for a manually created 1 PW record?

Options

Hello. I'm a longtime 1Password user whose vault includes a number of legacy entries that I created back in the earliest days of password management (viz., before password management software interacted with Web pages). These do not automatically fill and submit on those respective sites, even though I've checked the box beside Preferences/Browsers/"Automatically sign in after filling user names and passwords" and "Submit logins" is checked in my (Safari 10.0.3) browser extension. By the way, "Fill and Submit" DOES work for entries that 1Password created by recording login keystrokes. What's the most direct way I can enable a "Fill and Submit" script for those "Fill" entries?

1Password Version: 6.6 (660013 - App Store)
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: manual
Referrer: forum-search:Enable "Fill and Submit" for existing record

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @22704,

There is per Login setting too and I wonder if this might be the cause. To see if it is at all can you try the following for me please.

1. Select a Login item that isn't behaving as expected.
    2. Edit the Login item.

At this point two new settings should become visible and they are titled display and submit. The defaults are Always and Submit when enabled respectively and I'm wondering if yours show differently? If they do this could explain the difference in behaviour. Please let us know what you find and we'll see if it's the cause.

Community Member
    Options

Hello, littlebobbytables.
    Thanks for your offer of help. I'm afraid I need a bit more detail, as I'm apparently not doing an item edit correctly. That is, assuming that you suggestion involves the kind of item editing I am used to doing within the 1Password app (e.g. opening 1Password, selecting a login item from my primary vault, and clicking on the Edit button that's displaying on the lower, right-hand corner of the 1Password window.) Doing this does display the familiar login form with field names and textboxes, etc. Obviously, this is not the editing approach you're suggesting, and nowhere do I find the "two new settings" you describe (viz., display and submit, etc.). I wonder if you would be able to provide more detail in your suggestion — I will not be offended if your suggestions make no assumptions of coding skill on my part. Thanks so much for your patience with this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @22704,

This is what I see when I edit a Login item in 1Password for Mac.

Those two options that I was referring to, display and submit are only available to Login items so I wonder if you've saved details about a page in a different 1Password type.

Can you try something for me please. I would like you to use the search field in the Item List pane to find your item that won't fill. I would now like you to sort the search results by Category, an option just below the actual search field. When you sort by category 1Password adds little title headers to each block. What category does your item belong to when you do this search?

If you decide to post an image to help show what you're seeing please remember these are public support forums. I will post images but I'm quite careful in what I post as I am aware anybody and everybody will see the contents of the image. I just wouldn't want you to post something that reveals any sensitive information :smile:

Community Member
    Options

Dear littlebobbytables,
    Ahhhh. Now I understand exactly what you were talking about. In the image of the Edit screen that you attached, the two functions that I couldn't find earlier in my own Edit screen fairly jumped right out at me and shouted, "Hey! We're right here!" One thing that may have been helped was looking at the page with 'fresh eyes,' so to speak. It's equally probably that I couldn't see either the display or submit functions earlier because I've never attended to that part of the Edit screen before today.

I didn't do the item Search per your most recent suggestion, because it's self-evident to me that an item would need to be configured as a login in order for the app to utilize a submit script. It's very thorough of you to have asked me to provide the item 'category' information, though, just in case....

In sum, the problem with that login item has now been resolved (Submit when enabled), and now I feel both more humble and better equipped to problem-solve future Auto-submit anomalies, should one ever occur. I am particularly grateful to you, littlebobbytables, for the gracious and persistent manner with which you worked with me on this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @22704,

It's often easy to overlook something isn't it. Your brain tells you what to expect, making it easy to miss little things. I'd say somebody claiming to have never done it is probably fibbing and I will hold my hands up and say I've probably lost count how many times I will have done it over a number of years :lol: The good news is we've determined the cause and all it should take now is a little time to resolve any affected items and everything should be good :smile:

The search suggestion was more as a backup but there have been times where we've found people have stored data in different types. As a result over time I've adapted my troubleshooting techniques to allow for uses I hadn't anticipated.

So I'm happy everything is working. Should you have any questions about 1Password or should anything else happen that requires troubleshooting please do let us know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.