I logged into the 1password website on public wifi on accident, do I need to change passwords?

JBallin
JBallin
Community Member

VPN was disrupted and I logged into the actual website (not the Mac app or the browser extension) on public wifi. The account key and master pass were filled in already by Safari, I just clicked "Sign In" (no typing). Do I need to change both the master and account key?

Other people asked similar questions but I didn't see any mention of signing into my account on the browser specifically.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:public wifi

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JBallin

Thank you for getting in touch with us to make sure you stay secure! Neither your Master Password nor your Account Key are ever sent over the internet. Your data is only ever decrypted or encrypted directly on your device. This means that there's no risk someone intercepted your Master Password or Account Key and there's no need to change them unless you fear that your device itself could have been compromised and not only the traffic going in and out.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

Good to hear! How can you login to a website without submitting your pass over the internet?

• Hi @JBallin ,

Using encryption libraries built into the browser, and using the SRP (Secure Remote Password) protocol, it's possible to do authenticate and login without ever transmitting the password over the Internet. A good explanation on how SRP works is here: https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/30998/how-does-srp-prevent-man-in-middle-attacks

Also for a nice long technical explanation, you can read more on how 1Password's overall security works here: https://1password.com/files/1Password for Teams White Paper.pdf

Cheers,
    Kevin

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_kevin!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! If you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.