1 Password Mini prevents unmounting of backup volume

_dp_
_dp_
Community Member

I back up to an external drive. When I dry to unmount it, it throws an error saying that it can't be unmounted because it is busy. The console log shows the following.

The volume "dp CCC 2" can't be unmounted because it is in use by: (
": 1Password mini (453)",
": pkd (318)",
": socketfilterfw (223)"
)

After quitting 1 Password mini, I still get:

The volume "dp CCC 2" can't be unmounted because it is in use by: (
": pkd (318)",
": socketfilterfw (223)"
)

Two questions. First, why is 1 Password mini doing this? Second, are the processes that remain after quitting 1Pm related, or do I have three problems?

Thanks,
dp

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.6.2 (662005) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: None

Comments

• dp ,

The other processes may be spawned by 1Password mini, but there's not enough data to tell here. I'm guessing that CCC is a Carbon Copy Cloner backup. If so, macOS may be launching the copy of 1Password mini on the CCC 2 drive and not the startup drive. Unfortunately, due to Apple sandboxing restrictions, the main 1Password app is only allowed to tell macOS "launch 1Password mini" and not "launch 1Password mini that is located here". macOS decides which one to launch.

I'd like you to try a test:

1. Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    2. Unmount the CCC 2 drive.
    3. Launch 1Password again while the CCC 2 drive is not connected.
    4. Remount the CCC 2 drive.

After that, see if you can unmount the CCC 2 drive. It should be ok then.

Regards,
    Kevin

• _dp_
    _dp_
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. In addition to the Carbon Copy Cloner backup, I have a Time Machine backup. So I did a search-and-destroy on the CCC backup, eliminating everything related to 1Password. This was probably overkill, but it resolved the problem. I will keep your note for future reference, should the problem recur. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

dp: I'd say that may be a bit overkill, as we wouldn't want you to exclude your important 1Password data from the backup. The problem Kevin was referring to can be avoided simply by excluding the 1Password app from backups, and that can be downloaded again any time from our site. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.