Lack of data breach notification

Pat_X
Pat_X
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Mac

I just went to log in to a website and noticed a banner on the 1Password's login info for that site saying something like "Security Vulnerability - Change Password" and directed me to this page. I would like to have been notified right when the server's passwords were compromised, rather than when I happened to notice the banner when I went to log in to that website.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• firebeyer
    firebeyer
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hello @Pat_X,

This has been requested on the forums before . More recently (2/25/17) it also looks like Dave is interested in adding notifications sooner than later.

Currently the best method is to check Watchtower within the 1Password app under the Security Audit section to see if any of your items have recently met the criteria.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Pat_X,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback about Watchtower! One thing I wanted to mention is that 1Password won't be able to notify you at the exact moment a website is compromised, as there's no way for 1Password to know that. We add sites to Watchtower when we learn about website vulnerabilities that have a risk of exposing passwords. In other words, we don't know about security breaches before they are reported (often by the websites themselves).

For some more information about Watchtower, please see this knowledgebase article: Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

If you have more questions about that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.