After upgrading, I now have two versions of 1Password on my computer

Busha
Busha
Community Member

Encountered the problem w/ mini after upgrading to 6.6.2, so followed the instructions to download and reinstall 1Password from the website, but now I find I have two versions of 1Password in my applications folder: one says 1Password and the other says 1Password 6. (Upgrading 1Password also prompted me to finally upgrade my MacOS to Sierra, so I may have messed things up that way.) How should I clean this up/fix this? Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:After upgrading, I now have two versions of 1Password on my computer

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Hi @Busha,

Sorry to hear you ran into some trouble with 1Password! I'm sure we can help to get this all straightened out.

From your description, it sounds like you have both the Mac App Store version and the AgileBits Store version of 1Password installed on your Mac. In the Applications folder, the one called "1Password" is the Mac App Store version, and the one called "1Password 6" is the AgileBits Store version (they should both be version 6, but the app files themselves are just named differently).

My guess is that you were originally using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, but when you ran into a problem, you downloaded a new copy from the Mac App Store. But if you originally purchased a license from our AgileBits Store, that license won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. So if my guess is correct and you purchased a license from our web store, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Quit the 1Password app, if either one is open.
    2. Go to the Applications folder and drag the 1Password app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    3. To make sure you have the latest AgileBits Store version, download it from our download site.
    4. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation, then follow the steps.
    5. When you're done, find the 1Password 6 file in the Applications folder and double-click on it.
    6. If there's a problem, reboot your Mac and try opening it again.

When you open the AgileBits Store version, you should be prompted for your master password, and it should have all your data. Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• Busha
    Busha
    Community Member

Awesome. Thank you so much. I think this is exactly what happened. I've trashed the 1Password version and seem to be good to go. In the future, I should continue to update from AgileBits and not the Mac App store, correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Busha: If you purchased 1Password directly from the AgileBits Store, definitely continue using that version. There's no drawback to doing so, and it will be able to recognize your license if you've registered it, so you don't get stuck with trial restrictions. And we're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.