Please help me figure out why no syncing and can't add my spouse to my 1Password to share

takomadonna
takomadonna
Community Member

I have 1Password on my laptop and on my phone. At some point I synced them, but they no longer sync. In addition, I can't figure out how to add my husband to the account so that we can share records.

1Password Version: 6.5.2 phone 6.6.1 laptop
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud I think
Referrer: forum-search:Have app and laptop 1P; can't sync them anymore; can't add spouse to 1P with me/share

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @takomadonna,

Sorry to hear 1Password isn't syncing between your Mac and iPhone! It sounds like you're not sure which sync option you've been using, so the first thing to do is check your sync settings:

On your Mac:

• Open & unlock the main 1Password app, then go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Check which sync option is selected next to "Sync Primary vault with".

On your iPhone:

• Open & unlock 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • If you see Sync Service near the top, check which sync option is shown there (or if you see Start Syncing, that means sync isn't enabled).

Please let us know what you find on each one.

...I can't figure out how to add my husband to the account so that we can share records.

Have you signed up for a 1Password Families subscription account? If so, you don't need to set up any sync options at all, because the data in your account automatically syncs through our own servers (you just need to sign into your account from the 1Password app). If you sync your data using a third party option such as Dropbox or iCloud, you might not have an account on 1Password.com

Or if you already have a Families account, you can follow these steps to invite your husband:

1. Sign into your own account on 1Password.com.
    2. Click your account name in the top right corner of the site and choose Admin Console.
    3. Click the Invitations link near the top.
    4. Follow the steps there to invite your family member.

Let us know how it all goes! If there's any confusion about accounts and sharing, we'll be happy to help clear that up. :)

• takomadonna
    takomadonna
    Community Member

I think I need an account. Once I sign up for an account, can I connect my existing MacBook and iphone info into the subscription account?

• takomadonna
    takomadonna
    Community Member

On the Mac the sync option is set to iCloud. On the phone it's also iCloud and it says recently synced 7 seconds ago. But the info on the phone app and the Mac do not match.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @takomadonna,

Once I sign up for an account, can I connect my existing MacBook and iphone info into the subscription account?

Absolutely! The way it works is that you sign up for 1Password Families, then you sign into your new account from the 1Password app on your Mac. Then you can move all your items from the old 'Primary' vault to your new 'Personal' account vault (and then delete the Primary vault, as you'll no longer need it).

To make the migration as easy as possible, it's best to make sure you have all your latest data in 1Password on your Mac first. Do you have data in 1Password on your iPhone that hasn't synced to your Mac? If so, you should create a backup of the 1Password data on your iPhone and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: iOS: Create a backup

Once you've done that, the best way to fix the sync problem is to reset the sync data in iCloud by following these steps:

• On your Mac, open the 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    • Confirm you want to reset it by clicking "Yes, Remove Remote Data".
    • After a moment you should see a message that confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled (click OK).

On your iPhone, 1Password should stop syncing when it realizes the data in iCloud was reset, and it will give you an error message about that (which is expected). Open the 1Password app on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync > Primary to make sure iCloud is no longer selected as the sync service. Select Start Syncing > Sync with iCloud and follow the steps. Once sync with iCloud is enabled, wait for it to complete (it will take a little longer than usual because it needs to make a new copy of your vault in your iCloud account).

When it is done syncing to iCloud, you'll need to re-enable sync with iCloud on your Mac:

• Open 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab and change the sync setting for your Primary vault from None to iCloud.
    • If a sign-in page opens on Apple.com, sign in using your Apple ID.
    • It should find the new data in iCloud and prompt you to merge it with the data on your Mac.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. :)

This discussion has been closed.