How to transfer my registered 1Password from one Mac to another

marty_b
marty_b
Community Member

Recently upgraded one of our Mac laptops and want to transfer the registered 1Password copy from one to the other. We have a software key that has 5 licenses on it (and I think one still unused). How do we do this?

Is there a way to see the license key from an installed copy?

Also, how can I see how many copies are remaining on the multi-user license?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• marty_b
    marty_b
    Community Member

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marty_b,

Thank you for the screenshot! It looks like you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store, but from your description, it sounds like you purchased a license for 1Password from our AgileBits Store. If so, you'll need to install the AgileBits Store version of 1Password so you can activate that with your license (the Mac App Store works very differently as far as purchasing & activation).

You can drag 1Password.app from the Applications folder to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools). Then download the AgileBits Store version from our download site. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation. When you're done, open the new 1Password 6.app file in Applications and go through the setup procedure. If you need any help to apply your license file, please follow the steps here: If you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• marty_b
    marty_b
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's possible this employee bought his copy in the App Store and did not use a company license key. I will check.

I would still like to know what is the process for transferring a non App Store copy from one computer to another as well as how to check how many unused licenses I have left.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@marty_b: No, if they'd paid for the Mac App Store version of 1Password, it would not show "read-only"; the App Store would validate the purchase when downloading using the correct Apple ID. There is no way to "transfer" purchases between Apple IDs as far as I know though, but you can contact Apple to find out for certain.

Given that I'm not seeing any licenses under this address, the best thing to do would be to shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com with your purchase information so we can help you get things sorted out.

This discussion has been closed.