Attachment Storage Location?

bnpluss
bnpluss
Community Member

Hey guys,

Was just poking around 1Password with a colleague, and noticed that when you click on "Show in Finder" on an attachment, it brings you to a local storage location on the hard drive. Something similar to:

private/var/folders/00/98sdf2fds/A/000.com.agilebits.onepassword/com.agilebits.attachments/13d38d/filename.pdf

Does this mean that it is storing the file on my hard drive unencrypted?

Thanks,
Bob

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 662004
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:attachments

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bnpluss: The only way for you to be able to view any data in 1Password is for it to first be decrypted. Otherwise it just looks like nonsense (you can try this). So 1Password will decrypt your data on demand to a temporary file (as you illustrated) when you try to preview it or open it directly in an app (Finder or otherwise). Conversely, 1Password doesn't decrypt the data you're not viewing in 1Password; it remains solely in a file which is part of your OPVault or AgileKeychain vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bnpluss
    bnpluss
    Community Member

@brenty: thanks for the response. Does that mean that once 1Password is locked again, that file is re-encrypted and cannot be viewed anymore?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bnpluss,

That's correct, and you can try it for yourself if you want: Unlock 1Password, click 'show in finder' for an attachment to open its temporary location in the Finder, then switch back to 1Password and lock it. Then, when you switch back to the Finder, you'll notice the unencrypted copy of that file and its folder can no longer be found (they've been deleted).

If you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• bnpluss
    bnpluss
    Community Member

@Drew_AG - Awesome, thanks very much for your reply. That is great to know!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, glad I could help! :)

This discussion has been closed.