Updated to latest version and being asked for my mac's password. Confirming that this is legit?

moi
moi
Community Member

Just want to confirm that this latest update requires my Mac's password. Not sure if I have seen that request before and wanted to make sure that it is real.

1Password Version: 6.62?
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Updated to latest version and being asked for my mac's password. Confirming that this is legit?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@moi: Since version 6.3.3, 1Password for Mac is using a .pkg installer to comply with Apple's security recommendations for Sierra, and this does require admin rights to run.

That's just a bit of background since the answer to your question is pretty complex, given we don't know anything about your system and what you're downloading/installing. If you originally downloaded 1Password directly from Apple or AgileBits, it will validate the connection to the update server and check the installer before updating. In that case, nothing to worry about. If you are just now manually downloading the installer directly from our site, you can verify the signature as shown in this post. If you're not sure on either count, just download a fresh copy now and you can check the installer's signature before proceeding:

1Password downloads

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• moi
    moi
    Community Member

Thanks. Just updating from Agile Bits so password request is ok?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@moi: Yep! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.