My account is registered to an old email address and I can't update software or login

joshuambailey
joshuambailey
Community Member

I'd like to update my software and upon trying to do that have realized I don't really know any of my account information...meaning "sign-in address" or "secret key". Help?!

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:my account is registered to an old email address

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joshuambailey,

Are you being taken through the setup process in the 1Password app on your Mac? If so, it sounds like you chose the option to sign into a 1Password.com account, which is why it's asking you for information such as a secret key and a sign-in address. You'll only have those if you signed up for an account on 1Password.com - otherwise, you'll need to go back and choose a different option from the 'Welcome' screen. For example, if you sync your 1Password data via Dropbox, select "Sync using Dropbox" on that first screen (under "Used 1Password before?").

However, you said you were just trying to update the 1Password app from 6.5.2 to the latest version (currently 6.6.2). If you were already using 1Password on that Mac, you shouldn't be seeing the 'Welcome' screen after installing an update. Is it possible you were previously using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, but then downloaded a new copy from the Mac App Store? (Or vice versa?) If you download an update to the one you were previously using on your Mac, it should find your data when you open it, with no need to go through the setup again.

If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you have multiple 1Password apps there? If so, what are their names? Does either one ask for your master password and show your data when you open it?

• joshuambailey
    joshuambailey
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Drew. The update process is through the app store and I finally got that to work. The only issue now is I'm not sure I know any of my account info for 1Password...when I have the app open on my desktop and go to preferences, accounts...there's no account there...says I need to sign into my 1Password account?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joshuambailey,

Are you sure you have an account on 1Password.com? That's a new subscription service we started offering last year. Instead, you may have purchased the Mac App Store version of 1Password as a standalone app/license (i.e. without a subscription account). The option to sign into an account in Preferences > Accounts is only needed if you actually have a 1Password.com account.

On the other hand, if you're sure you have a 1Password.com account but can't find your Secret Key (aka Account Key) or other information you need to add that account to the app, this support article might help: If you can't find your Account Key or account code

Does that help to clear things up?

• joshuambailey
    joshuambailey
    Community Member

Got it...then I must not have an account...what's the purpose of having one of those accounts? Also, when I get a new computer will the Mac App Store version transfer?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joshuambailey,

A 1Password.com account is a service which allows us to do a lot of things that aren't possible or feasible to do with just the standalone apps. For example, with an account, you don't need to configure any sync settings with a third party sync service in order to keep your data current across different devices - all you need to do is sign into your account from the 1Password app, and your data will automatically sync through our servers. You would also have web access to your data on 1Password.com, in case you need to check it from a computer that doesn't have the 1Password app installed. Other features include a brand new multi-factor security model, item history for restoring deleted or changed items, secure Document storage, and more. In addition, you don’t need to worry about licenses or purchasing upgrades to major new versions (upgrades are included in the subscription).

You can learn more about all that and more here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Also, when I get a new computer will the Mac App Store version transfer?

Sure! Your purchases from the Mac App Store are tied to your Apple ID. Just sign into that same Apple ID in the Mac App Store on a new Mac, and you'll be able to reinstall all your purchased apps.

If you have more questions, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• joshuambailey
    joshuambailey
    Community Member

Awesome, thank you for the help Drew! Have a great weekend as well!

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Drew, you are very welcome @joshuambailey :)

This discussion has been closed.