Feature request: 1Password lets you know if a certain website offers 2-step authentication

mountain_goat
mountain_goat
Community Member

I use 2-step authentication wherever it is offered. Sometimes a service introduces it and I discover they offer it later. So, the feature request is for 1password to somehow alert when 2-step authentication is offered by a service.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:2-step authentication

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mountain_goat,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your request! That would certainly be a handy feature. However, I don't think there's any way for 1Password to detect if/when a website offers the option to enable two-step verification. The only possibility I can think of is if we added a feature similar to Watchtower, where we would need to manually keep track of this in a database on our end, and the 1Password app would download that info from us and compare it to your Login items. The problem would be finding out when sites add two-step verification so we could add them to our database. Also, we don't support all the different standards used for one-time passwords, so it would confusing to alert customers about all the sites that offer it (and that's assuming we had a reliable way of hearing about sites adding it in the first place).

Anyway, that's not to say a feature like this would never happen, but right now there are certainly obstacles that would prevent it from being truly effective and useful. It's definitely an interesting idea though, and we really appreciate you sharing it with us! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• mountain_goat
    mountain_goat
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

Cool.
    Yeh, I see all the difficulties. :chuffed:
    Thanks for keeping it on the backburner though!
    If you ever do it and implement it as a background service like Watchtower -- or how Apple takes care of printer drivers --
    there is this website/github repo:
    https://twofactorauth.org/

Thanks and I appreciate the response!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome - and thanks again for the suggestion! :)

This discussion has been closed.