My husband and I have separate, individual accounts. We'd like to merge them.

Options
jenbmcd
jenbmcd
Community Member

My husband and I have separate, individual accounts. We'd like to merge them, but we want to make sure we can do this without losing any of our individual data. If I invite him to join me and upgrade to a Family account, what happens in terms of his individual account? Will he be able to transfer his existing data, and will his individual account simply go away? Or will he need to transfer his data and then actively cancel his individual account? Or...?
Thanks,
Jen

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:separate

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey Jen ( @jenbmcd )

Thanks for taking the time to write in. This is a great question that I don't recall seeing asked before, but I'm sure other folks will run into at some point.

The short answer is: the latter. When you invite your husband to your account he'll set up a new set of 1Password credentials (new Secret Key, Master Password, Emergency Kit, etc) that are tied to your 1Password Families account. This is entirely independent of his existing individual account -- the two know nothing about each other. Make sure he keeps good records during this process. We recommend printing the Emergency Kit and writing in the Master Password on it, then storing it in a safe place.

He'll need to copy the data from his vaults in his current individual account into vaults that are part of the 1Password Families account, and then cancel his individual account.

If you or he need any help along the way please feel free to write back! :)

Ben

• jenbmcd
    jenbmcd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much, Ben! We'll give that a try.

• Frank
    Options

Fantastic! On behalf of Ben you're very welcome. Let us know if you run into any questions along the way. We're happy to help out.

This discussion has been closed.