Duplicate data in Primary and Personal vaults

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Is there any way to cleanup duplicate passwords,.

Comments

• drosin
    drosin
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar issue, caused due to confusion with the account setup. I ended up with two vaults, one "primary", the original, and one "personal" belonging to the account. I was not sure how to safely combine the existing data and the new empty account (I expected it to import somehow), so I just copied... but now, on my machines, everything is duplicated. Can the two vaults be combined?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drosin,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble migrating to your new 1Password account! I hope you don't mind, but I've split your post into a separate thread so we can focus on this specific issue.

Normally, when you sign into a 1Password.com account in the 1Password app, it should ask if you want to move your data from the Primary vault to your new Personal account vault (and once you do that, it should ask if you want to remove the Primary vault, since you no longer need it). If you're curious, you can see what that looks like starting around the 1:15 mark in the video on our support site here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I'm not sure why you wouldn't have been prompted about that, but it sounds like you did the right thing by copying all your items from the old Primary vault to the new Personal vault in your account. So now, if I understand, you have all your data in your new Personal account vault, but you also still have all your data in the old Primary vault. If so, all you need to do now is delete the Primary vault. Just open the 1Password app, switch to the Primary vault (using the vault switcher in the top left corner of the window), and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menubar (then follow the on-screen steps).

Does that help? Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.