OS X suddenly in "Read Only" mode, reloading licenses doesn't fix it.

bdwagner
bdwagner
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Mac

It took me a while to understand that my OS X version of 1P wasn't suddenly broken, but that now it seems top be in "Read Only" mode. I re-downloaded and applied licenses, but no go. My IOS version is fine. Suggestions? Can we do something with less latency than this method if you don't do phone calls?
1Password
Version

1Password Version: 6.6.2 (662004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.3 (16D32)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:OS X suddenly in "Read Only" mode, reloading licenses doesn't fix it. Getting frustrated and pissed.

Comments

• Hi @bdwagner ,

If you see Read-Only, then this likely means you have purchased your license directly from AgileBits, rather than a previous purchase on the Mac App Store, before it was free up front. Licenses purchased from AgileBits can not be used with the version from the Mac App Store.

It sounds like you were running 1Password form our website, but when updating, you downloaded from the Mac App Store instead. If this sounds accurate, please download and install 1Password from https://1password.com/downloads

Once you have done that, please delete "1Password.app" from your Applications folder. That is the version from the Mac App Store and you will not need it. The version from our website is named "1Password 6.app" (with the version number."

If you are certain you purchased it from the Mac App Store in the past (and not a license from AgileBits) and have not been running the version downloaded from AgileBits before this update, then please make sure you download the latest version using the same AppleID that you originally purchased it with.

If that does not solve your issue, please let us know.

Regards,
    Kevin

• bdwagner
    bdwagner
    Community Member

THANK YOU. Problem solved. (Not referenced anywhere I could find previously). :-(

But seriously, how many lines of code would it have taken to completely prevent this from happening in the first place?

I'm very happy with the product and frequency of upgrades, have been for years, but the pricing structure and the new subscription options are incredibly confusing, and I suspect that isn't really necessary either.

It appears I have redundantly purchased multiple unnecessary licenses as well!

Much appreciated,

Byron

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @bdwagner! On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome. Thanks for confirming that solved the problem!

But seriously, how many lines of code would it have taken to completely prevent this from happening in the first place?

Do you mean add code to the Mac App Store version of 1Password so it accepts licenses for the AgileBits Store version? Unfortunately the Mac App Store doesn't allow that, so it's simply not something we're able to do. And we can't stop someone from downloading 1Password from the Mac App Store if they already bought a license from our web store. But perhaps we'll be able to add some information in the app which will help explain what's happening, without causing more confusion.

...the pricing structure and the new subscription options are incredibly confusing...

I'm very sorry for any confusion! It should be fairly easy for a new customer just starting with 1Password for the first time, but I know there's confusion that can happen for existing customers who are used to the way 1Password was sold for years. We're definitely working on that and I think we've made some huge improvements since we first started offering 1Password.com accounts, but if you have specific feedback or suggestions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know!

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.