PLEASE provide visual feedback when locking via keyboard shortcut

dyx
dyx
Community Member

As the title states, please provide some sort of feedback on-screen when using the global keyboard shortcut to lock 1Password. Currently there is nothing to indicate the app locks.

This feature has been requested at least twice before: first here in 2014, very kindly, by @wtmoose, and then here in 2016 by myself, also very kindly. Both times, the answer was simply, “Interesting idea, we’ll consider it,” before the tickets were closed.

I love 1Password, but this kind of support is demeaning. I’d rather the team outright tell us they will not implement this rather than give a veneer of interest before closing the issues. So I’m asking again—is this something that can be added?

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:PLEASE provide visual feedback when locking via keyboard shortcut

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dyx,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us again to request a visual indication that 1Password is locked when you use the keyboard shortcut!

Before getting to that, I think there's been a misunderstanding about what it means when a forum discussion is closed, and I'd like to clear that up. We rarely close threads here manually, but the forum software closes them automatically after a long period of inactivity. Your first link is to a discussion which is more than 3 years old, and your second link is to your own discussion from over a year ago. Both were inactive for a long time before the forum software closed them. But the status of a forum discussion has absolutely no bearing on the status of a feature request. We have an internal tracker to keep track of feature requests, bug reports, etc. So, please know that we took your request seriously, and weren't trying to demean you in any way. I'm sorry if it seemed that way!

Now, getting to your question about the request: you obviously want us to give you a definite "yes" or "no" about whether or not we'll add an indication that the keyboard shortcut has indeed locked 1Password. And I would very much love to give you a definite answer, but I can't, because there hasn't been a decision about that one way or the other. Right now, if I told you "Yes we'll add that" or "No we'll never add that", I would be lying, because I simply don't know that. And I don't think you'd want me to make up an answer just to placate you.

However, I'm happy to be honest with you and tell you what we know: There's a ticket for this feature request in our internal tracker, and that ticket is still open. That means it's still being considered - in fact, we think it's a good idea! But our developers need to assign a priority to everything they work on, and there are many factors that can determine that priority. Obviously this particular request hasn't been at the top of the list of priorities, but that doesn't mean it will never be added. Similarly, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be, either. At this point, we simply don't know.

Clearly, this is a feature you feel strongly about, and I know it's frustrating for you that we haven't added it and that we don't know if or when we will. We receive a lot of different feature requests from customers every day, and those features are all really important to the people who request them. And even though we truly want to make our customers happy, we can't add all of the features they ask for - and the features we do add cannot always be added as quickly as we'd like.

I'm sorry we don't have a more concrete answer to give you. But please know that we understand this is important to you and the other customers who have requested it. I'll add your comments to our internal tracker to let our developers know you've asked about it again. Personally, I really hope we're able to add it!

If you have more questions about that or anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

ref: OPM-333

• dyx
    dyx
    Community Member

Thank you for the detailed and quick response.

I see—thank you for explaining. I'm a developer, so I'm used to equating "Ticket Closed" without resolution as "Won't Fix". I appreciate you explaining that's not the case here. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! It isn't something we're working on now, and we can't promise that this feature will be added, but it's certainly something we can consider when we develop future versions of 1Password. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.