You've Done a Great Job with Families!

ings
ings
Community Member

I've been a standalone license 1Password user for years, on iOS, macOS and Windows, using Dropbox to sync. After spending some time reading the various technical support articles on 1Password Families, this week I decided to switch to Families.

Wow. You have done a great job with Families! I don't know why I took so long to switch!

Here are a couple of newbie observations FWIW:

1) Having mucked around with my new "toy" for 24 hours now, it would be nice to start fresh and purge the archive and perhaps even the item history, to remove my muck. :-) You've heard the purge requirement before in other threads, in the context of data mangement, but I thought I'd +1 it.

2) Even through I have 3 vaults, the admin console dashboard says I have 2. I guess either "Personal" or "Shared" doesn't count towards my vault total, but it's odd to click on "2" on the dashboard and see 3 vaults listed (the third being a vault I created).

3) I love the granular item history and archiving. This means I don't need to worry about less technical family members accidentally messing up shared items, since it's easy for me to back out an ill considered edit. This reduces the need to have a vault for each family member and makes life simpler.

Dave Ings

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ings: Timing is a funny thing. It's sort of like buying a new computer: If you get one right away, you can get more use out of it sooner; but if you wait, you can get one that's even better. Similarly, 1Password Families is great, and I've enjoyed using it since it launched; but the 1Password Families that you get by signing up now is even better than when we introduced it. So really I think it's just a matter of when the time is right for you and your family. And with feedback from you and the rest of our awesome customers, we'll continue to make it even better :)

As for the specifics, (#1) that isn't a use case I'd considered for wiping data, but it's certainly something we can consider; (#2) the count is reflecting only shared vaults since the Personal/Private vault is part of the account itself, but I agree that's confusing and we have an open issue to make this clearer; (#3) I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right that item history makes it less necessary to worry about what family members might do to the items you share with them — and you may want to consider using Guest accounts for family members that don't need a Personal/Private vault either.

Anyway, thank you so much for the kind words. I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password Families, and don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions, comments, or suggestions. We love to hear from you! :chuffed:

ref: B5-2115

This discussion has been closed.