Filling access credentials - PC and Families

mlmiles1
mlmiles1
Community Member

I think I may be an idiot. I have not been able to figure out how to get 1P6 on the PC to work with 1PFamilies as seamlessly as it does on the Mac. So, I have been using 1P6 just to house my access credentials for 1PFamilies and, when I needed to access a password-protected website, I would get into 1PFamilies and cut and pasting my usernames and passwords. It was a pain, but that's what I had to do to get to my passwords in 1PFamilies.

Do 1P6 and 1PFamilies now work together in the same way as they do on the Mac? In other words, does 1P6's password info sync with 1PFamilies?

1Password Version: 1P 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: both OS X and PC
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlmiles1! To answer your question, yes indeed! 1Password 6 for Windows is designed specifically for use with our subscription accounts, be they individual, Families or Teams. All you have to do is sign in to your Families account inside of 1Password 6 for Windows, and you'll have full access to all of your Families data. Here's our guide: https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/?win

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@john_m Maybe it is me, but I still can't get the app to fill the fields for me automatically like the Mac version does. What am I not doing?

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

Let me explain a little more about my situation. I am on a Windows 10 machine. I have both 1P4 and 1P6 installed. I have been using 1P4 to store ONLY the credentials to open 1PFamilies. So when I open my computer, I launch 1P4 to open 1pFamilies on the web, and then I use the access information in those vaults to open whatever websites I am interested in. When on 1PFamilies on the web, I cannot click on the URLs in any record to be taken to a site and have the access information pre-filled; therefore, I copy and paste the info in the websites I want to access. I would prefer to click the URL and have website open with pre-filled access info.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Good to hear from you again, @mlmiles1 :chuffed:

That is a bit of an unusual setup! Generally speaking we don't recommend having both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 installed at the same time; they both use the same browser plugin, and can "fight" to talk to it.

When you set up 1Password 6 with your subscription account, launching 1Password 6 only asks for your master password, just the same way 1Password 4 does. Therefore, there really shouldn't be a need to keep 1Password 4 installed. You can store the full details for your 1Password Families login in 1Password 6, and I'd also recommend saving and printing an Emergency Kit from your account (see: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/ ) - that way you'll always be sure to have a copy of your subscription account sign-in details, and won't have a need for 1Password 4 (which you should uninstall once you're sure you've got your 1Password subscription account details safe).

I hope that makes sense!

This discussion has been closed.