Replacing v.3.8.22 that was ported to a new Macbook via Time Machine with V.6

Watertight
Watertight
Community Member

Bought my better half a brand new Macbook Air for her birthday. It's running Sierra while the Macbook it replaced runs Snow Leopard and has 1Password v.3.8.22 loaded. I used a Time Machine backup to bring across as much data as it could from the old Macbook. Worked fine but, of course, left me with the new machine (Sierra) having v.3.8.22 as its 1P installation. I haven't opened 1P on the new machine for obvious reasons!.

I need to get V.6 of 1Password up and running on the new machine. I've taken a look through the Knowledgebase but want to be sure I do it right the first time. Household syncs are done via my home network. My primary computer is a Mac mini (El Capitan) which has V.6.6.2 running smoothly, and I figure that's a good source for a sync once I replace v.3 with V.6. I've located my family license information in your Customer Center.

Our devices include an iPad and two iPhones. All run the current versions of iOS 10.2 and 1Password as updates are published (the iPad runs v.6.5.2 and I can't find the 1P version info on the phones).

Thanks. Terry

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3.
Sync Type: Local network

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Watertight,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help upgrading from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6 on that new Macbook Air. That's a very nice birthday present you bought for her! :)

Assuming the 1Password 3 data was correctly restored to the new Macbook Air from the Time Machine backup, the upgrade to 1Password 6 should be easy - just launch 1Password 6 and it should be able to find the 1Password 3 data during the setup procedure. We have more thorough steps here: How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your Mac

Alternately, if 1Password 3 had been syncing with Dropbox on the old Mac, you could simply choose the Dropbox option when setting up 1Password 6 (you'll need to have Dropbox installed and set up on the new Macbook Air before doing that, of course).

Does that help? Let us know how it all goes and if you have questions about that. Cheers! :)

• Watertight
    Watertight
    Community Member

Yeah, she likes it, Drew, but we haven't succeeded in getting 1Password6 up and operating.

I tried several times to follow the instructions in the document you cited (How to upgrade . . . ) and was unable to find anything looking like the key icon in Safari's tool bar that the instructions tell me to click on once my log-in page has the fake user and password entered. So, I've stopped until hearing from you.

My Sierra on the new machine is 10.12.3 and its Safari is v. 10.0.3. I don't see a key icon except in the password box on the login page for my "fake." However, that's a little black key, pointed down and with a small triangle on the right side, and inside the box.

The "plus sign" is present on the Safari tool bar as expected.

I checked "About Safari" to see what extensions were installed and found 1PW, Evernote clipper, and Ka-Block! I've never used Evernote and haven't the slightest idea what Ka-Block! is, but both are not long for this world on that Macbook!

Look forward to hearing what I should do next to get on track with the "How to upgrade . . ." doc't.

Terry

• Hi @Watertight,

I assume that you're getting stuck while following these instructions?
    https://support.1password.com/uninstall-v3-extension/

It's entirely possible that you don't have the version 3 extension installed on this Mac in which case you can continue on and ignore it. In the event that this step was skipped, the Mac app will let you know later when it's run.

I hope that helps.

Rick

• Watertight
    Watertight
    Community Member

Thanks, Rick. The installation went fine. I'm holding off on installing the extension until I've ensured everything is working as anticipated. My ability to use my license via the email fetch I did with you a few days ago is a wonder. Smooth as silk. Nice system that one.

I've run into a glitch. The vault remaining from 1P3 (now replaced by 1P 6) seems to be incompatible. My intent was to sync with the vault being used by our Mac mini and three devices. These other machines were synched among themselves yesterday. I thought I could freshen up the info that hadn't been synched on the replaced 1P3 machine for perhaps a couple of years. While it would be very dated, it surprises me that it's considered a different vault from the one used in all my other gear.

My source for the updating sync is my iPad (one of the devices synched yesterday). The WLAN was established easily, and the new machine connected smoothly with the iPad -- using a different code, however, than the code used by the other devices and our Mac mini. The sync came to a halt with an error message (sorry I didn't think to copy the number -- its first digit was a "7") telling me the vault on the new Macbook (which is the 1P3 vault from the old machine that it replaced) was different from the one on my iPad. The sync process stopped there.

Anything I can do to get us all on the iPad's vault (which is the vault in common with all the other gear in our house)?

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Watertight,

Just to be sure I understand, is your goal to sync all the same 1Password data between all devices (Mac mini, MacBook Air, several iOS devices)? If so, the WLAN Server option is not going to be a good sync solution for you because it's meant to work between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices.

WLAN Server won't work directly between two Macs, and it sounds like you're trying to use your iPad as a "bridge" between both Macs by syncing it with one, and then switching it to sync with the other. The problem is that you need to disable WLAN Server on the iOS device in order to switch to the other Mac, and each time you do that, it removes information about the sync state with the previous server. When you set it up again, there's no history of previous syncs, so it has to compare every field of every item in the vault on both devices to figure out what to keep and what changes need to be made, and that can lead to conflicts and various sync problems.

The easiest way to sync your 1Password data between all devices is with a 1Password.com account. After switching to an account, you wouldn't need to configure any sync settings at all - you would simply sign into that account from the 1Password app on each device, and sync happens automatically. We have more information about 1Password.com accounts here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that! :)

• Watertight
    Watertight
    Community Member

Very helpful, Drew. Thanks for walking me through the WLAN theory. You described the effort better than I.

The school of unpleasant surprises has cultivated a paranoia that prevents having my "sierra madre" [h/t to another poster also with security fears] residing anyplace other than on my own system or on backups in a bank safe deposit box. I admit to being increasingly out of step and suffering the inconvenience.

1P's excellence makes it indispensable. Ditto with the absoute certainty of the security of its data. I'll cave in eventually -- but not yet.

Thanks to both you and Rick for your assistance. Top notch as usual.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad my explanation was helpful, @Watertight!

No problem if you'd prefer not to have your data hosted by our servers with a 1Password.com account, or by another cloud sync service. Unfortunately that makes syncing a lot more difficult, but the important thing is that you have a method of syncing you feel comfortable with and that works well for you.

I hope you'll decide to try out a 1Password.com account at some point, as I think it will make things much easier for you. If you're interested in reading about what makes it so secure, I recommend taking a look at our security design white paper, as well as this knowledgebase article: How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

Thank you very much for your kind words about our support and about 1Password in general! We want our customers to enjoy using 1Password as much as we love making & supporting it. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.