To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Does deleting my 1Password account get rid of the archive?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Memberships

So overall I would say I'm a pretty casual user of 1Password despite knowing about it for many years. Before the whole individual account/subscription only thing a few weeks ago, I used the free iOS version and would store my accounts there. It worked great, mainly because I didn't need to sign up for an account and 1Password sync through iCloud. When the news about individual accounts/subscriptions was announced I decided to try out the Mac version. This is the part that confused me because I believe I needed to sign up for a 1Password account in order to use it so I ended up doing that. The 30 day trial was nice to try to see what having the full '1Password experience' was like.

So after signing up for a 1Password account, I was able to log in to my account on 1Password.com. I actually noticed some features that are hidden/aren't in the iOS version such as Trash and Archive. This might be a little crazy, but whenever I need to update info on 1Password, I actually delete the login and just create a new login with new email/password/etc. So over the last few years, I unawarely build up an archive of like 230 logins which are duplicates. I've read that they automatically delete after 1 year but not knowing about an trash/archive feature (since I used only iOS) this sort of concerns me.

The issue I have now is that, I'm really unsure about going beyond the trial period. I like 1Password but I'm a really a casual user. I just can't see myself paying a subscription every month. I was fine with having features locked behind Premium (such as folders, tags, Apple Watch support, etc.) because I didn't need them. To me, what I had before creating a 1Password account was what suited me the best. Now I'm more confused about the need for a 1Password account, duplicate vaults, my archive, etc.

Say I end up not upgrading and want to delete my 1Password account, would that securely wipe everything including my archive? My biggest fear is deleting my account but the archiving still sticks around for a year. At least with an account I have a little control over it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    Options

Hi fdd,

Take a look at this link. It will help explain what will happen if you choose not to continue. You will be able to export your passwords and go back to your license, you will just lose the features of the subscription.

https://support.1password.com/delete-account/

cheers
    Conor

• Meek
    Options

Hey @fddubsys,

As @csmoran9 mentioned, you will indeed be able to move passwords from an account back to the standalone version if you so wish.

That said, I'd like to take a moment to talk about the many benefits of a 1Password membership, as it is by far the best experience using 1Password - just so you better understand the differences :)

With a 1Password.com membership, getting all set up is so much simpler than it was previously. Simply sign up, and then sign into your account on each device. Your data is kept up to date everywhere automatically without having to configure anything like Dropbox or iCloud. It also gives members access to their data through a web browser and many other features: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

One of my favourites is that with a 1Password membership, you get all the apps for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android included with your subscription, so you can stay up to date and take advantage of all the upcoming new features immediately.

If you do decide to delete your 1Password account, your data will be wiped completely after a short holding period (to help mitigate accidental account deletions).

Let us know if you have any more questions!

This discussion has been closed.