1password vs fast-user-switching

ScatterbotsNY
ScatterbotsNY
Community Member

I have my mac set up so that I do almost all my work on a non-privileged account (one which does not have administrator access). And then periodically I use macOS's fast-user-switching to flip from that account to the account which does have administrative access, and I update various applications (including 1password) from that account. I do not log out of the first account. I do not quit any browsers which might be running on the first account. (I usually have at least three different browsers running).

I also start up the Console app, so I see when messages are written to /var/log/system.log. When I'm logged into the second account, that account will see a lot of messages written to system.log. This has been true for several versions of 1password, but today is the first time I decided to write it up. Here are some sample messages:

Mar 18 20:18:04 gad.host.name 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[85073]: 663004 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fc120e58800):] E findExtensionProcessForPort: | Stopping connection since no PID was found to validate the other side of the connection.
Mar 18 20:18:04 gad.host.name 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[85073]: 663004 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fc120d19e20):] M webSocketForURI: | [ES4] Extension connected Chrome-Extension 'chrome-extension://fpnbobholfpcolmkinlokiaaanjilcop / (null)'
Mar 18 20:18:04 gad.host.name 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[85073]: 663004 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fc120f9cfb0):] M webSocketForURI: | [ES4] Extension connected Chrome-Extension 'chrome-extension://aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk / (null)'
Mar 18 20:18:04 gad.host.name 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[85073]: 663004 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fc120e7c4f0):] E findExtensionProcessForPort: | Failed to find extension process for 'chrome-extension://fpnbobholfpcolmkinlokiaaanjilcop:52597', my PID: 85073, invalid output: '85073
', apps found: (
)
Mar 18 20:18:04 gad.host.name 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[85073]: 663004 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fc120e7c4f0):] E findExtensionProcessForPort: | Stopping connection since no PID was found to validate the other side of the connection.
Mar 18 20:18:04 gad.host.name 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[85073]: 663004 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fc120d19e20):] E findExtensionProcessForPort: | Failed to find extension process for 'chrome-extension://aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk:52598', my PID: 85073, invalid output: '85073
', apps found: (
)

These messages keep repeating, which is not helpful if I remain logged into the second account for a long time. (I might be interrupted, and wander away from my computer for a few hours, for instance). I hope this is enough information so that you can re-create the problem on some of your own machines. I realize that most people do not leave Console.app running all the time (and given how many messages are written to the various system logs, I can't say that I blame them!).

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.6.3 (663004) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5 (14F2109)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ScatterbotsNY,

It sounds like the browser from the other session is trying to connect to mini, and since mini shut down its server port on the other account it's ending up connecting to your current session's mini. This is a known scenario, and it looks like 1Password is doing the right thing by disallowing the connection. It's just unfortunate that the browser extension tries as often as it does (it should slow down to once per minute) which causes the logging on this side to state that the connection was rejected.

Can I confirm that it's actually working as expected, and that you're only concerned about the amount of logging being done?

Rick

• ScatterbotsNY
    ScatterbotsNY
    Community Member

Everything works fine, on both sides of the fast-user switching. I'm just concerned about the log files filling up. And a little annoyed, because I have the Console.app pop-forward when it notices a message that it thinks I should know about! :smile: (but really, it's not a big deal for me).

• You're in for a treat when you upgrade to Sierra. The amount of logging the system does in Sierra is... astounding to say the least.

There's some stuff coming down the pipe that might help with some of the logging that we do. I can't talk much about it at this point, but I'm hopeful that we can start reducing those.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.