For update your script asking for my MAC PRO acnt passwd to update old files?

camaxwell
camaxwell
Community Member

I am on version 6.5.5 (655000) and clicked to update to version 6.6.3 (build #663004) As I have done many times in the past but now it is asking me for my MAC PRO's User Account Password so it can install updated files... I think not, I am not going to give this script any password to my computer system. In fact are you all asking for my computer account password? What's up? I guess I will not update past where I am now if this keeps up...

camaxwell

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: (655000)
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: DropBox 21.4.25
Referrer: forum-search:install script asking for my MAC PRO acnt passwd so it can install updated files? for 6.6.3 (build #663004)

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @camaxwell,

I'm sorry for any confusion about that! This is expected behavior, and relates to a difference in the installation method for the Mac version of 1Password.

If you originally installed 1Password by downloading a .zip file, expanding it, and dragging the 1Password app to the Applications folder, the operating system let you do that without changing permissions of the binary, so it didn't require your Mac admin password. Subsequent updates retained the same permissions, so your admin password wasn't previously required to install updates either.

Not too long ago, we started distributing 1Password for Mac in a .pkg installer package, which you would have downloaded in order to install version 6.5.5. The .pkg installer still just puts a copy of the 1Password app in Applications, but it also needs to set permissions for that app. After that, subsequent updates will require your authentication to update the installed binary in the Applications folder, which is why it requires your admin password. This is the first time you've updated since installing 6.5.5, which is why it's also the first time you've noticed this. It simply needs permission to update the 1Password app on your Mac.

Again, I'm sorry if that caused you to worry! Hopefully this helps to clear things up, but please let us know if you have more questions or concerns about that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.