1 password 6, windows, adding logins in the web browser

NOSG
NOSG
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Business and Teams

Hi, I've been using 1 password for several years and currently use 1 password 4. I am just trying out 1 password 6 for Teams and I don't seem to be able to get the same browser functionality I can with 4. 4 would prompt to add a login if I entered credentials whilst in my browser (I use Chrome and Firefox), or if I changed an existing login password. I can't seem to get 6 to behave like that. Am I doing something wrong, as this is a significant bit of functionality.
Thx, Andy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1 password 6 adding new logins in a browser

Comments

• Hi @NOSG,

When you sign in to a site with credentials that aren't in 1Password, it should show you this panel in Version 6 (this screenshot is from 6.4.377)

If you aren't seeing that, then the first thing to check is that the browser extension is actually connected to 1Password. The easiest way to do that is to click on the 1Password icon within the browser toolbar. This should bring up the mini 1Password window if they're connected.

If they're connected and you're seeing this issue, then you should let us know which site you're seeing this issue with so that we can poke at it and see if we can reproduce the issue on our end.

Regarding the prompt to update an existing password (by signing in with new credentials via the web)... 1Password for Windows isn't yet able to do that. It's something that the team's working on and I'm hopeful that it'll get added soon. It's a big part of the browser integration.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member

Hi Rick, thank you for the quick response. I can get this box showing. I think the issue was I'm so used to getting the prompt from 4 whenever I change a password etc., that I hadn't realised a couple of the sites were already in the system (not new). Taking "soon" with its literal meaning would suggest single digit weeks, but I suspect "soon" might have a slightly different meaning in the world of software and might mean within the next 52 weeks. Are you able to narrow that down a little? I ask as we'd need to think twice about rolling it out to the business without this to the business as I can see instances of passwords getting changed, but not updated if it requires the user to "remember" to take the copied new password and update the records. We have a number of logins that change every 45 days, so it could get messy. Thx, Andy

• @NOSG,

You're right that 'soon' can have a very different meaning in the software world. This is exactly why I don't like giving any kind of estimate. I've had egg on my face far too many times where I thought for sure a feature was going out within the next few days and it ended up taking 6 months due to some unforeseen issues (and in some cases the feature was scrapped entirely).

I would say that if you're reliant on that feature that you should hold back on rolling out until it's present. You may be interested in signing up for the beta updates of the app so that you can get the feature faster as it'll appear there before the stable builds.

Rick

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member

Being a mere mortal (not a software engineer) and given I've had the functionality in the "old" version (4) it beggars the question how hard can it be. Is the feature available in the MAC version of 6, i.e. it's just windows that's the issue to resolve? We'll try it for our free period and see how it goes with those in the team that have not used 4 before, so in theory won't know what they are missing. Not reliant on the feature, much like electric windows in a car you don't really need them, but they are a bit more than a nice to have.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@NOSG: I think no matter the enterprise, there are only so many hours in a day. We're making great progress on the new Windows app, but there are real world constraints that prevent us from having everything we want today. Just know that this is as important to us as it is to you, so we'll get there when we can. "Little things" mean a lot, after all. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions or feedback as your team gives it a test drive. :)

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member

@brenty. Ok, I get it (like you my business is often limited by its resources, not its opportunities, but resourcing up to tackle more opportunity doesn't come without risk, sometimes considerable risk). Just wanted to be confident it was important and therefore more likely to happen. I am a long term user of 1 password and have sung its praises, recommended it to all who will listen. I know nothing about software, other than I love great software and 1 password has helped make parts of my life more manageable and feel more in control, freeing up some more of everyone's finite resource, time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely. And thank you for the kind words! That's our goal, and we're not satisfied until 1Password is the best it can be. I don't expect that day will ever truly come, because there's always room for improvement. But we love what we do and are happy to keep on doing it. Thanks for your support! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.