How to access a keychain vault after upgrading to online account

djstorba
djstorba
Community Member

Recently created an online account rather than use dropbox for my personal vault however I have access to a shared vault via dropbox. Seems that the option to sync via dropbox has now been removed from the app for me.

Aside from importing this keychain into an online account, how can I sync/access this information? We do not wish to create an online account for this.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @djstorba,

Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry for the confusion about that! Because you setup 1Password by signing into a 1Password.com account, the app is in "accounts-only mode" and doesn't show the options that only apply to local vaults (such as the Sync tab in Preferences). What you'll need to do is create a new local 'Primary' vault, and then you'll be able to add that shared vault from Dropbox.

To enable & create a local Primary vault:

• Open & unlock the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced.
    • Enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".
    • Enter the master password for your 1Password account and click Create Primary Vault.

Now you'll see the Sync tab in Preferences. Technically you can configure the Primary vault to sync with the .opvault or .agilekeychain file in Dropbox, but if you share that vault with someone else (and assuming it uses a different master password than your account and Primary vault), you might want to add it as a secondary local vault. To do that, simply open the Dropbox folder on your Mac, find the sync file, and double-click on it.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• djstorba
    djstorba
    Community Member

That solves my challenge @Drew_AG!

Thank-you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I'm glad that helped. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.