Lost vaults?

TimInBC
TimInBC
Community Member

Just updated to 6.6.3. Logged in afterward. I have only a Primary vault. Could have sworn I had two others.
Am I the first to observe this?

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:vaults

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TimInBC,

Your data and the 1Password app file are stored in separate locations on your Mac. The updated app will look in the same location for your data as it always does, so if you had three vaults before the update, you should see those same three vaults after the update.

If you're positive you had three vaults, but now you're seeing only one (Primary), is it possible you were previously using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password (from our website), but recently downloaded it from the Mac App Store instead? (Or the other way around?) If so, that could explain the problem because the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions store data separately from each other.

If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you have multiple 1Password apps in there? If so, what are their names? If you open them (one at a time), does one have all three of your vaults? Let us know what you find and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• TimInBC
    TimInBC
    Community Member

I have only 6.6.3 AgileBits Store, updated March 17 in response to a notification.
    I think I have always used the AgileBits version, because it's a simpler way.
    I suppose if I had had the other, it would still be there?

The good news is that all the entries still seem to be there, just not split into vaults.
    So I can fix it fairly quickly.
    Unless there's another easy explanation, let's not spend too long on it.

But now that you mention it, maybe the updaters could have "Warning - you are attempting to apply an AgileBits update to an Apple Store version. Are you sure you want to proceed?" or vice versa.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TimInBC,

I think I have always used the AgileBits version, because it's a simpler way.
    I suppose if I had had the other, it would still be there?

Yes - if you were previously using the Mac App Store version, you would still have an app file called "1Password.app" in the Applications folder - unless you removed it from there, of course. It sounds like you only have "1Password 6.app" in Applications, which is the AgileBits Store version.

The good news is that all the entries still seem to be there, just not split into vaults.

That's definitely good news! I'm glad all your data is still there. But I don't know how data from three different vaults could have been merged into one unless you took steps to do that yourself. Is it possible you're looking at the 'All Vaults' view in 1Password? That shows items from multiple vaults at the same time, as if they were all in the same vault. In the main 1Password app, if you see 'All Vaults' in the top left corner of the window (right below the red/yellow/green buttons), you can click on that to switch to an individual vault.

But now that you mention it, maybe the updaters could have "Warning - you are attempting to apply an AgileBits update to an Apple Store version. Are you sure you want to proceed?" or vice versa.

That wouldn't be necessary because they're installed separately through different channels and don't replace each other. So if you had one of them on your Mac and then installed the other, you'd end up with 2 separate apps in the Applications folder - 1Password.app (Mac App Store) and 1Password 6.app (AgileBits Store). That's why I asked you to check for that, but it sounds like you've only ever used the AgileBits Store version.

Anyway, I'm happy your data is all present and accounted for, even if it's not split into three vaults! Please let us know if you need anything else or have questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.