When I was updating to Version 6.6.3 (663004) today, the installer warned me that there app copies

ChuckinNihon
ChuckinNihon
Community Member

The installer of the latest update found a copy of the app on my two backup drives. I deleted the app back ups and installed the update. Should I exclude app copies from my backup menu (Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner)?

1Password Version: 6.6.3 (663004)
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:Version 6.6.3 (663004) found app copies on my back up drives

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ChuckinNihon,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about that! The short answer is that it's a good idea to exclude the 1Password app from backups in order to avoid potential issues that can happen (your 1Password data should still be backed up, and you can always re-download the app from our site if necessary). We have some more information here: If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

If you're curious, here's the longer answer: There's a component within the 1Password app file called '1Password mini' which must be running in order for 1Password to work. When you open 1Password, it asks the operating system (specifically, launchd) to launch the 1Password mini component. Unfortunately, if launchd finds other copies of the app, it often tries to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini (there's no way for us to force it to open the correct copy). If that happens, 1Password won't work. This is an issue in recent versions of OS X / macOS and must be fixed by Apple on the OS level. (You probably haven't noticed this problem with other apps though, because not many apps are running two separate components at the same time.)

Because this needs to be addressed in the OS, we have no control over it except to warn users in advance about how to avoid the problem. That's why you saw the "extra copies" warning during the update. The problem is a bit random though, and some customers don't experience it at all, which is why we included the Update Anyway button. If copies of 1Password on your backup drive haven't been a problem before, there's a good chance it will continue to work correctly, but excluding the 1Password app from backups will ensure you don't run into the problem in the future.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• ChuckinNihon
    ChuckinNihon
    Community Member

Drew-AG,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll follow your advice about excluding the app from my backup lists.

ChuckinJapan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @ChuckinNihon! If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.