Your instructions how to update app are confusing

GlennColorado
GlennColorado
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Mac

I'm trying to update the app and extension.

This is what your instructions say:

1) 1Password 6.1.1 is now available.
2) There have been 2 updates since you last updated
3) Automatically updating to this version WILL NOT WORK
4) Please download the latest version of 1Password

If there is anyone at support with ANY adult reading/writing/comprehension skills beyond a 3rd grade level, they should immediately see the problem. These instructions can not be followed because they self contradict. Automatically updating WILL NOT WORK. Please download THE LATEST VERSION. (WHICH YOU JUST PREVIOUSLY TOLD THE USER WOULD NOT WORK!!!!!!!)

So what's the deal here boys.

Could somebody with some adult writing skills sort this out and instead of saying what won't WON'T WORK and then contradicting yourselves. Please just give me the instructions for what WILL WORK.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OSX 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:updating

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017

@GlennColorado - just click the blue link after the red text. It will direct you to a site with the list of installers, or immediately start downloading one (I forget which it will do). Use the manually downloaded installer to do the update.

The general update framework in your screenshot works almost always, but in this rare situation which is described elsewhere here on the forums, it cannot. Agilebits just updated the text with a link, so it seems contradictory.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

It says that automatically updating will not work. And then it asks you to download the latest update. I suppose they could have made it slightly more clear if they had thrown in the word manually. But it doesn't seem contradictory to me.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

It is semi-inconsistent. It is hardly "automatic" if you have to manually click a Download Update button. It is semi-automatic, no matter what you do.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GlennColorado,

I hope the answers from pervel and MrC were helpful for you! Indeed, the part of the update message that says "download the latest version of 1Password" is a link you can click on in order to download the installer for the latest version. You'll need to do that because, as the first part of the message explains, automatically updating through the older version will not work. If you're curious about that, this blog post will explain more about the situation (the same link MrC gave you): 1Password for Mac 6.5.5: Manual update required

Sorry for any confusion about that! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.