Purchased 1Password from Mac App Store and iTunes App Store - Currently Use iCloud

es350
es350
Community Member

I purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store and iTunes App Store (in-app purchase of Pro version) about a year ago. Always loved using it with iCloud. I plan to reload my MacBook and iPhone and re-setup my 1Password vault. I see in the Mac App Store update that 1Password is preferring we use their sync service (which I am not interested in, regardless of benefits). Can I still re-setup with iCloud sync? I see the Mac App Store version is free now with an in-app purchase for "1Password Standalone" --- do I need to purchase this to use iCloud if I start over? This is very confusing! Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @es350 - You can indeed continue using iCloud as a sync source if you don't want to sign up for a 1Password membership. If you re-install 1Password on your Mac -

Open 1Password, from the welcome screen, under "Used 1Password Before" select iCloud as a sync method. You will then just enter your Master Password before the data syncs over to your Mac.

You don't need to purchase 1Password again, just make sure you're signed in using the same Apple ID used to purchase 1Password originally from the Mac App Store and you'll be good to go! Again my apologies for any confusion and I hope this helped. :+1:

• es350
    es350
    Community Member

@Frank I plan to delete my 1Password data from iCloud and start over with a new vault and sync it with iCloud on my Mac and iOS devices. Is this still possible? I see the Mac App Store version of 1Password has an in-app purchase of $64.99, what does that include?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @es350,

I plan to delete my 1Password data from iCloud and start over with a new vault and sync it with iCloud on my Mac and iOS devices. Is this still possible?

Absolutely! If you already set up 1Password by syncing your data from iCloud, but you want to delete your existing data and start over from scratch, you can delete your data from iCloud by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data. Then you can reset the 1Password app by following the steps here: How to erase your 1Password data and start over

If you haven't set up the 1Password app yet (i.e. you see the 'Welcome' screen when you open it), click on 'More Options...' and choose 'Create a standalone vault'. Once you've created your new empty vault, you can delete your old data from iCloud by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.

I see the Mac App Store version of 1Password has an in-app purchase of $64.99, what does that include?

If you previously purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, that's the same as the new in-app purchase (i.e. a license for the standalone app, which doesn't include a 1Password.com subscription account.

But if you already bought the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you shouldn't be seeing anything about making a new purchase in the app. Are you seeing something about the in-app purchase when you launch the 1Password app? Or are you just seeing that mentioned in the description on the Mac App Store?

• es350
    es350
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I already purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store about a year ago BUT I am curious about the $64.99 in-app purchase because I recommend it to clients but prefer iCloud sync and I want to ensure that iCloud sync is still available for new clients if they purchase the Mac App Store version for $64.99 and the iOS version (Pro) for $9.99?

FYI... I'm sure the 1Password monthly sub is great but I prefer iCloud as do many, many other users (I've been using it since it became available for 1Password). I understand you changed your business model to have a more consistent revenue stream but I would be more than willing to pay the same monthly sub fee to ensure that iCloud sync is always up-to-date and fully supported by 1Password.

My main concern is that you are going to neglect iCloud sync bugs, etc. in order to force users to switch to 1Password's servers. Please pass this along to your founder. Again, I know it cost money to keep software up-to-date and I, as well as many others (1Password is now only rated 2-stars on the Mac App Store!!!) would be more than willing to pay for a monthly or yearly in-app purchase to ensure iCloud sync remains top-notch with 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @es350,

Thank you for clarifying! The in-app purchase you're seeing now for the standalone app is really the same thing you purchased about a year ago - the difference is that until recently, it was necessary to make the purchase from the Mac App Store before you could download the app. Now you can download the app first before making the purchase. Otherwise, it works just like it did before - the purchase is associated with the Apple ID used to buy it, and it can be used on all Macs without needing to purchase it again as long as that same Apple ID is used to download it from the Mac App Store.

...I want to ensure that iCloud sync is still available for new clients if they purchase the Mac App Store version for $64.99 and the iOS version (Pro) for $9.99?

Absolutely! Again, the only difference is that instead of purchasing the app on the Mac App Store first and then downloading it, you can download it first and then purchase it. Aside from how the purchasing works, it's exactly the same app you bought and are using on your own Macs. It has all the same features as before, including sync with iCloud.

We definitely appreciate your feedback about sync options and licenses for the standalone apps! Although our focus has been on 1Password.com accounts, we know there are many 1Password customers who prefer licenses/standalone purchases. We're not forcing you or any of those other customers to switch to 1Password.com accounts, and I think the standalone in-app purchase in the Mac App Store version is proof of that (it was introduced very recently). Although I can't promise we'll continue to sell standalone licenses for 1Password apps forever and ever, I can tell you that we currently don't have plans to stop. And even if we did at some point, we would still support our customers who have them.

If you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.