1password stuck in read-only mode after latest update

selinalee
selinalee
Community Member

My 1password is stuck in read-only mode after the latest update on my mac When I click the read-button, the popup says I need to buy a license, but I purchase a license for version 6 last year. Reloading the license from the email doesn't seem to work any more. I requested another email license and that doesn't get me out of read-only mode either. I've tried doing this when it running and not running. That's going on? clicking "find license" says I got a license, but I can't edit my file What good is a license that is read-only? how can I fix this? Is this related to the your moving over to monthly subscription fee? HELP? I search the forum and don't see this issue.

Comments

• @selinalee,

The license you purchased is only valid for the AgileBits Web Store version available from https://1password.com/downloads you can't use it with the Mac App Store version.

Rudy

• selinalee
    selinalee
    Community Member

I didn't update 1password using the mac app store, I use the update feature within 1password itself. How do I get the correct version of 1password back on my iMac? How do you tell which version is correct using my purchase license?

• selinalee
    selinalee
    Community Member

ok, I redownloaded 1password to my computer, and now see that 1password6 coming from Agilebits has different version info from 1password from the mac app store. This is so confusing and AgileBits uses the same icons for both versions. I don't understand how I got both the mac app store version running along with the agile bit version at the same time. Do they access the same data files? I followed the Feb directions about the manual updating. Where is the documents explaining the two versions and how it works? I didn't see anything in the FAQ.

• @selinalee,

I can't say for certain how you ended up with both of them, but they don't access the same files. So we'll definitely want to make sure that the one you end up using has the right data in it. If you launch the other version does it have any of the recently edited information in it or is it possibly stale?

Rudy

• selinalee
    selinalee
    Community Member

hmm, 1password6 first startup time took many minutes. So long I thought the newly download app didn't install or work. Maybe it was spending rebuilding the database from found databases on my computer? Here another element to confuse things, I've was syncing between my other macs, iPhone and iPad with 1password on my iMac. File dates say 3/17 is when 1password was created with an update. I have no clue what's missing or out of syn between my devices. The few items I checked look ok under 1password6. I'm unable to open both 1password and 1password6 at the same time. I had 1password6 open and it locked when I start 1password and then both apps are frozen in the opening password window. I just killed both. Can you give me the file locations so I can do a simple unix diff to compare the files?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @selinalee,

Trying to run both versions of 1Password (AgileBits Store and Mac App Store) can cause some odd behavior, like the slow startup time you mentioned. If you have all your latest 1Password data in the AgileBits Store version (1Password 6.app) and/or on your other devices, you can drag the Mac App Store version (1Password.app) to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning tools), then empty it. If it can't be emptied, reboot your Mac and try again.

If you need to check the data in both versions first, try this:

1. Open 1Password.app (Mac App Store version) from the Applications folder.
    2. Click 'All Items' in the sidebar, change the Sort order to Date Modified and take a look at your latest changes.
    3. Hold down the control key on your keyboard and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini in the menu bar.
    4. Open 1Password 6.app (AgileBits Store version) from the Applications folder (it should open correctly this time).
    5. Click 'All Items' in the sidebar, change the Sort order to Date Modified and take a look at your latest changes.
    6. Hold down the control key on your keyboard and go to 1Password 6 > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini in the menu bar.

If the AgileBits Store version has all your latest data, you can delete the Mac App Store version (again, do not use any app cleaning tools when dragging 1Password.app to the Trash). Also, if you need to check each app multiple times to see which has your latest data, that's fine - just make sure you quit both 1Password and 1Password mini (as described in the steps above) for one version before opening the other version.

Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• gtmtechltd
    gtmtechltd
    Community Member

I have the same problem - after a forced update, I am now no longer licensed- this is such a bad end-user experience. Following the online forums, and help, I go to download my license from my logged-in account, it downloads for OnePassword 6, and OnePassword 6 tells me that I have a OnePassword 6 license, and am registered!, but it is still in ReadOnly mode, even after a reboot. I am now stuck with a password vault I can't use, because there are different license "types" for different "ways of downloading" the app? Come on Agilebits, think of your customers, we need simple things that work, not software that doesn't because of this incredibly complicated licensing model.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gtmtechltd: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It's actually pretty simple. While updates are recommended, they are never "forced". "ReadOnly mode" is only in the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so if you've installed that for some reason when you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store, it won't be licensed. Apple's App Store simply has no way of knowing you purchased from us. I've resent your license information via email, so please drag 1Password to the Trash and follow the instructions there to install and register the app. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• stzavelas
    stzavelas
    Community Member

I have the same problem as @gtmtechltd and @selinalee. I have purchased the license for 1password 5 (for Mac) last year in January. After updating to 1password 6, the app is only in read-mode.
    @brenty can you please send me the instructions as well how to proceed?
    The only thing I tried was deinstalling the app and installing it again from the App-Store.

• @stzavelas ,

Brenty's answer is the same for you. Because you purchased a license from our website, please download 1Password updates from our website: https://1password.com/downloads

Do not download from the Mac App Store. Due to App Store rules, only purchases from the Mac App Store can be recognized there.

So, to solve your issue:

1. Download and install 1Password 6 from https://1password.com/downloads
    2. Trash the Mac App Store version from your Applications folder (The Mac App Store version is named "1password.app". The version from our website is named "1Password 6.app".)
    3. Launch 1Password 6 and enter your Master Password. It should be fine and you should not see "Read-only" mode anymore.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.