Sync stops working every so often

mhulse
mhulse
Community Member

My issue is the same as this closed discussion:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/62459/sync-stops-working-with-dropbox

Every so often, I will realize that 1Password stops syncing.

Like today, I got a message that there was an "error" and I clicked "fix it".

I unlocked 1Password and found that DB sync was disabled and no vault was chosen.

I re-linked the vault and merged.

This isn't a huge deal I guess. Just wanted to report it.

Also, "an error occurred" is pretty vague. Could you at least specify "your vault has stopped syncing" or something more useful?

Sometimes I get the "an error occurred" message, and I open 1password, and I see no issues whatsoever. This happened to me the other day. It would be nice to go to a page in the app that tells me why the heck I was just bugged about an error and why I had to open 1password to fix whatever it was. :)

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mhulse,

I don't know for sure why the sync settings would have become disabled in 1Password, but there are some legitimate reasons that could happen. For example, if you restore 1Password from a backup, your sync settings will be disabled. But if you're seeing an error message notification about sync being disabled, it's possible something is happening to your sync file, Dropbox folder, or Dropbox account that we don't have control over. For example, if your .opvault or .agilekeychain sync file in Dropbox is deleted or moved to a different location, or your entire Dropbox folder is moved (basically, if something happens that prevents 1Password from finding your sync file where it expects it to be), that will force 1Password to stop syncing. In situations like that, there's no way for 1Password to know exactly what happened, so it can't give you a specific reason in the error.

Assuming you're not moving the sync file or Dropbox folder around yourself, it's possible something is going wrong on the Dropbox side of things, but it's hard to tell for sure because we don't have control over Dropbox. But it might help if you can let us know a few more details:

• What other devices are you syncing with 1Password via Dropbox?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on those devices?
    • What OS version are you running on those devices?
    • When sync becomes disabled in 1Password on your Mac, does it also become disabled in 1Password on other devices?
    • Have you noticed any problems with Dropbox around the time the sync settings become disabled?
    • What is the name of your 1Password sync file in Dropbox, and where in your Dropbox folder is it stored?
    • Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password? If so, do they also sync with Dropbox, and do they have the same problem?
    • How often does this problem seem to happen?

Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.